texas cut.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroboy383

texas cut,,,

how is this done??

different ways to go about a texas cut??

gains from a cut like this???...

pictures would be great...i remember a thread on this style cut a while back,,,so lets bring that back fellas....

alden

I am by no means a prop guy, I have googled Texas cut and found refrences to it but no explanation or diagram of it.

I have PMed a few of the prop guys to see if I can get some input from them.

a texas cut is a continuous straight cut from hub to blade tip, along the trailing edge. usually deeper at the hub, tapering off towards the tip. it seems to unload the prop all across the rpm range more than barr cut (small notch/1/2 round cut near the hub), which seems to unload the prop more on launch than while running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually a Texas cut is taking area off the LEADING edge of the prop by making a straight cut starting just after the tongue and ending just before the curve going around the tip. We normally used this on the 1400 series props.

Glenn

Actually a Texas cut is taking area off the LEADING edge of the prop by making a straight cut starting just after the tongue and ending just before the curve going around the tip. We normally used this on the 1400 series props.

Glenn
Doing a Texas cut also increases the blades entry angle or leading edge pitch and increases lift.

Buck

a texas cut is a continuous straight cut from hub to blade tip, along the trailing edge. usually deeper at the hub, tapering off towards the tip. it seems to unload the prop all across the rpm range more than barr cut (small notch/1/2 round cut near the hub), which seems to unload the prop more on launch than while running.
Robin,

What you are describing is a back cut, most often done at or near 15 degrees.Back cutting reduces the lift while barr cutting doesn't.

glen and LC are correct on the cuts, careful on how much you remove doing the barr cut, its easy to go to far-- less holding the blade to the hub can be a bad thing ;)

toss this in there--texas cut,barr cut,back cut, cutting the tongue are all forms of removing the lower pitch areas of the prop. also what happens some times when modding props is you gain someplace and loose in another area example you loose all bite on take-off and have to launch your boat like an Olympic athlete but you increase top end greatly (been there done that lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
glen is correct on this as it was a common thing to be done many years ago, more suited to the outrigger as the props commonly had the mods were prather props , follow glen's direction on the cut and its not an aggressive cut in refrence to the amount cut off the blade .just a straight cut across the leading edge without touching the original leading edge nor the trailing edge tip.

hope it clears the proccess abit more for you.

wayne

Here is a pic of my newest brain storm.

Will see if it holds up to the Revs.

It is a combination of Texas and V cuts.

David

Old history, I did the first texas cut for an A mono prop for Jack Thompson of Katy, Texas probably in the late 80's or early 90's. It was done to help unload the prop via reducing the blade area. The Texas cut was done to the Octura X series of props and the cut had about the same lift but slightly less. I did so many of this cut I couldn't begin to count them. In every size and class. I don't have any props with me down here in FL to take pictures of but when I get back to Michigan in April I'll be glad to post some.

John

Mr Beardslee... please follow through on this if you will.... inquiring minds want to know.... lol... all the old boys in the long past Iowa club used to use your services, and I had fallen heir to more than a few sport 40 propellors bagged with your name on them.... sport 40 fell out and so did the props... any help you'd give is appreciated.... Mike

Old history, I did the first texas cut for an A mono prop for Jack Thompson of Katy, Texas probably in the late 80's or early 90's. It was done to help unload the prop via reducing the blade area. The Texas cut was done to the Octura X series of props and the cut had about the same lift but slightly less. I did so many of this cut I couldn't begin to count them. In every size and class. I don't have any props with me down here in FL to take pictures of but when I get back to Michigan in April I'll be glad to post some.

John

WOW:::

John Beardslee!!!!

I had use MANY of your props, back in the day.

Are you still doing, or planning to do props again?

Wow, that was quick, I was at the Winternationals on Thursday to see if any of the old dogs were still around. Saw Marty Davis, Dick Jones, Walt Barney and Tom Foley. Last year I stopped in Brandon just to take a look to see what was going on. Really impressed with the progess of the hobby. I haven't done props for many years, my wife went back teaching full time, my three daughters got their degrees and moved out and got married and ahhhhhh you know how it goes. I've been flying heli's for over ten years and large size gasser planes for a few. I have six grandsons, I've build some boats for them to play with at our lake. Kathy and I have been retired since 2007, we winter in Sarasota, FL and summer in northern Michigan. I've done a few props for friends in my area but I have too many projects to work on and just don't have the time to get back into it.

John

Hi Terry,

I saw Ron Logghe in September, unfortunately it was at his son Dan's memorial, Dan crashed his heli (R-44) on the way up to hunting camp. When I retired from education in 1998, I went right to work as an engineer for Logghe stamping and worked with them until December of 2007. Another guy was killed in the crash also, he took over my job when I retired. Ron and his brother Gene were both inducted into the NHRA hall of fame in June of 2006 and last into the Michigan motor sports hall of fame as well. I taught Gene to fly R/C heli's when he was 70 years old. He loves them and has a bunch. Ron has parkinsons and can't speak anymore. Jerry Betke was at Dan's memorial also, I touch base with him now and then. Of course those guys are alot older than I am!!!! I was at a flying club picnic in Galord, MI a few Septembers ago and ran into Joe Katrow, he was learning to fly fixed wing r/c planes and had brought one of his riggers out to show the club. He had know idea I'd be there, the boat had a "Texas Cut" prop on it. Small world.

John

Back