testing the Boris Mazor lipo starters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me for mess in post. I can not edit it. Ihope this will be readable. Thanks. Boris

STARTER.pdf

Attachments

• STARTER.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 45
Been running the same 12 volt sullivan on 24 volts for over 20 years now. I'm amazed it has lasted so long. Just hooked a 5S 5000Mah 45C to it and it rocks. Seems to have more punch than the two 7 AMP gell cells provided. I think the Dynatron will have a long life on 36 volts.
It's not the voltage, it's the armature speed you need to watch. It is possible to overspeed a Sullivan starter and toss the windings, found that out the hard way a number of years back letting someone help me who never started a twin before. The guy at Sullivan who repaired my starter told me they can handle alot of punishment just watch the rpms. ;)

Been running the same 12 volt sullivan on 24 volts for over 20 years now. I'm amazed it has lasted so long. Just hooked a 5S 5000Mah 45C to it and it rocks. Seems to have more punch than the two 7 AMP gell cells provided. I think the Dynatron will have a long life on 36 volts.
It's not the voltage, it's the armature speed you need to watch. It is possible to overspeed a Sullivan starter and toss the windings, found that out the hard way a number of years back letting someone help me who never started a twin before. The guy at Sullivan who repaired my starter told me they can handle alot of punishment just watch the rpms. ;)
Guess I always keep a load on the starter....never let it run free just to see how high it will rev.

Guess I always keep a load on the starter....never let it run free just to see how high it will rev.
Agreed. The Sullivan that had the armature "unwind" itself was back in the days of running my Roadrunner twin with unmuffled pipes and the guy helping me kept pulling up on the starter while I was trying to clear 'em out, he said he didn't hear the second one running. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy a 5s 5000mah 45c is a high output battery probably 100c burst discharge (not a cheap battery). Plenty power to support all weekend racing. I ran a 4s 5000mah 50c last weekend and it felt like it had plenty power to start big block motors. I say spend your money on 30c or higher high capacity high output batts. to run your starters. Lipos are safe if you take care of them and treat them as designed.

Hi, Don! I’m new to American boating, but not new for electric motors. May be in the past starter motors has armature and coil in series connection, not like contemporary starter with magnets?

Boris

This starter has a magnet on stator and RPM always in proportion of voltage.

S603n01.JPG

Dynatron Starter. The most powerful Sullivan 2.50" starter. Features a machined aluminum drive cone with pulley groove, 2.50" diameter steel body and gold end caps. 12 or 24 VDC operation, maximum 80 amps. 340 in-oz (240 N-cm) of stall torque at 12V, 680 in-oz (480 N-cm) at 24V. 4800 no load RPM at 12V, 9600 no load RPM at 24V. For most engines up to 2.4 cubic inches (40 cc). No. S603.

So, on 36V no load RPM=14400.

If starter was destroed running not loaded that mean bad starter!

Only one concern commutating motor at 24V and higher can burn switch by arc!

Boris

And the 24 Dynatron Conversion on 36 Volts .... Out performs them all.
Honestly I'd be concerned exceeding 30 volts and overspeeding the starter slinging the windings off the armature. :blink:
I just did that with 8s. Brand new Dynatron starter. It let go after 4 quick spins after I finished wiring it.
I know only Joe Warren happy with 36V (2x5S) LIPO on Dynatron starter. I run Dynatron testing on 6S LIPO ~30sec. Also I use 12v Sullivan High Torx on 24V LIPO for year. After all I came to 12V ATV starter that run on 14.8V ~8000 RPM. Boris

My 24v motor is still REVING on 36 Volts. I have the cheapest 12v model on 22v. I have abused them hard for a year now...... NO PROBLEM...

My 24v motor is still REVING on 36 Volts. I have the cheapest 12v model on 22v. I have abused them hard for a year now...... NO PROBLEM...
Joe, you are lucky

Looks like wires was not covered in armature with hard electrical shims. Also You can see open wires in old starter - it is bad design! Not for high RPM. Personally I will not trust armature like this even on lower RPM. In the future I'll not upgrade any dynatron starters. One bad case it is more than enough. Boris

starter damadge.jpg

Absolutely, you bump the motors with the starter, if your free wheeling you got other problems if it don't start. ;) ==={}

I told you about it. You show "warning" more safe so your good products in business . Everyone can't sue your sell products

Joe, you are lucky

Looks like wires was not covered in armature with hard electrical shims. Also You can see open wires in old starter - it is bad design! Not for high RPM. Personally I will not trust armature like this even on lower RPM. In the future I'll not upgrade any dynatron starters. One bad case it is more than enough. Boris
I would guess that sullivan is buying from a cheaper source? Both of my motors that are on lipoly batteries are 5 plus year old... i would try the #605 motor they show on there site. I have Blown up ROBI starters on 24 volt battery years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I told you about it. You show "warning" more safe so your good products in business . Everyone can't sue your sell products
what the hell you talking about really. no one is going to sue anyone here please.. Boris i use the dynatron 12/24V starter with no issues on 24 V for the last few years and never had a issue. my opinion is the responsibility of the user to ensure they know what they are doing if it goes bad thats on them you do not have any liability for the anything that happens to it. also the ATV starter you have its really heavy the dynatron is the better option

Replaced the armature with the one out of my 15 yr old starter. Ran it wide open for 1 minute with 8s battery and we are still here. The new one failed after 4 quick clicks. Granted if I have to do it again I go 6s battery.

Joe, you are lucky

I would guess that sullivan is buying from a cheaper source? Both of my motors that are on lipoly batteries are 5 plus year old... i would try the #605 motor they show on there site. I have Blown up ROBI starters on 24 volt battery years ago.
Good Luck, Joe! I'll help you to waste money on #605. The all hobby starter motors made less careful than commercial starter motors. Boris

Joe, you are lucky

I made a pictures of armature of ATV and SULLIVAN starters. You can compare.

1. ATV armature

2. Sullivan armature

3. ATV sealed

4. Sullivan not sealed.

Which one will you trust more?

Boris

1 ATV armature.jpg

2 SULLIVAN armature.jpg

3 ATV sealed.jpg

4 SULLIVAN NOT sealed.jpg

I'm already stack to ATV 200 cc starter motor. On 3S LIPO for all gas motors 26-30cc and 4S for big nitro up to 1.01.

I still can upgrade DYNATRON but will check them for 36 V unload for 60 second run. But keep in mind my starters with ATV motor is better.

Boris

Back