testing the Boris Mazor lipo starters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Well folks after I had sent a spare new Sullivan Dynatron to Boris for lipo conversion he asked if I would test it as well as his 12V starter and report the findings. Well this past weekend I got the chance to test both my new one and Boris 12 volt against old faithful, my 10 year old 24 volt gell cell Dynatron. After starting a CMB 101 all day during prop and pipe testing I'll tell you that you simply can't go wrong with either the Dynatron conversion or the Boris starter. The only thing I really do not like is having the lipos hanging out in the open so a had a real good friend weld me up an aluminum box that I bolted to the Dynatron conversion back plate and lined with thick felt padding to protect my 2 Hyperion 4S packs. As for the Boris starter you can get by a single 3S (11.1 volt) pack but it was noticeably stouter on a 4S (14.8 volt) pack (he sent one of each to test with). The 3S and 4S packs are available in "hard case" from a couple different manufacturers which would be much better unless you do what I did with the aluminum box. The converted Dynatron was definitely the mac daddy of all though as with an 8S (29.6 volt) set up it rocked the house and spun that 101 like a little 12 motor. I would also have liked to see the Boris 12 volt starter handle be as long as the Dynatron conversion but beyond that you can't go wrong with either from Mr. Mazor. And remember to ALWAYS handle your lipos with care and store charge them down to 60% when you're done for the day or weekend. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
And the 24 Dynatron Conversion on 36 Volts .... Out performs them all.

Well folks after I had sent a spare new Sullivan Dynatron to Boris for lipo conversion he asked if I would test it as well as his 12V starter and report the findings. Well this past weekend I got the chance to test both my new one and Boris 12 volt against old faithful, my 10 year old 24 volt gell cell Dynatron. After starting a CMB 101 all day during prop and pipe testing I'll tell you that you simply can't go wrong with either the Dynatron conversion or the Boris starter. The only thing I really do not like is having the lipos hanging out in the open so a had a real good friend weld me up an aluminum box that I bolted to the Dynatron conversion back plate and lined with thick felt padding to protect my 2 Hyperion 4S packs. As for the Boris starter you can get by a single 3S (11.1 volt) pack but it was noticeably stouter on a 4S (14.8 volt) pack (he sent one of each to test with). The 3S and 4S packs are available in "hard case" from a couple different manufacturers which would be much better unless you do what I did with the aluminum box. The converted Dynatron was definitely the mac daddy of all though as with an 8S (29.6 volt) set up it rocked the house and spun that 101 like a little 12 motor. I would also have liked to see the Boris 12 volt starter handle be as long as the Dynatron conversion but beyond that you can't go wrong with either from Mr. Mazor. And remember to ALWAYS handle your lipos with care and store charge them down to 60% when you're done for the day or weekend. B)
Hi, Don! Thanks for testing. I will make better battery protection in my next design and add $15 to price. The hard core battery cost 30% more than Turnigy Nano-tech.

Boris

I need your opinion about starter handle. On the picture shortest and longest handles I made. I did not notice any difference in operation. What do you like better? Boris

Handle size long.jpg

Handle size short.jpg

I need your opinion about starter handle. On the picture shortest and longest handles I made. I did not notice any difference in operation. What do you like better? Boris
Longer handle absolutely. :)

And the 24 Dynatron Conversion on 36 Volts .... Out performs them all.
A belt smoking sumbeach too. :)
Turn Burn or Blister.......
Be Careful yourself No Insurance !! may burn hand :wacko:
What about knife? drill? chain saw?and .........

Boris
Do you think safety " code" book Joe and Buck want high torque high volt DC 38 volts " no fuse " so cause abuse or fire Really Crazy show to everyone on IW

The LIPO battery has solder connection cell to cell and when you short battery they are melted! Sorry this was to me three times!. Boris

I just received my starter from Boris. It looks great. I'll try it in a month or so, when we have water instead of snow and ice.

Al Hobbs

"And remember to ALWAYS handle your lipos with care and store charge them down to 60% when you're done for the day or weekend."

How important is this? I have not used ours enough in the past three outings to the pond to put a dent in the capacity. Does this mean I need to discharge and recharge to 60% after every use, or is it ok to store with 80% capacity until the next outing? Or is it bad to store if the capacity is only 40%?

The LIPO battery has solder connection cell to cell and when you short battery they are melted! Sorry this was to me three times!. Boris
Allan, Boris is correct. If you abuse the battery or short the battery it Instantly opens the circuit... These Lipoly battery and starters are Way safer than Most Electric Boat on a Milion & 1/2 AMPS in the hot pit area..... :blink: .... Many Boaters have ran 24 Volts on a 12v starter motor for years this is double the voltage on the motor intended by mfger :huh: :huh: ........... I am only doing 36 volts on a 24 volt motor..... I will let you know if we need 48 volts. B) B)

Allan, Boris is correct. If you abuse the battery or short the battery it Instantly opens the circuit... These Lipoly battery and starters are Way safer than Most Electric Boat on a Milion & 1/2 AMPS in the hot pit area..... :blink: .... Many Boaters have ran 24 Volts on a 12v starter motor for years this is double the voltage on the motor intended by mfger :huh: :huh: ........... I am only doing 36 volts on a 24 volt motor..... I will let you know if we need 48 volts. B) B)
Been running the same 12 volt sullivan on 24 volts for over 20 years now. I'm amazed it has lasted so long. Just hooked a 5S 5000Mah 45C to it and it rocks. Seems to have more punch than the two 7 AMP gell cells provided. I think the Dynatron will have a long life on 36 volts.

STARTER

price

Can start

Dynatron starter with Speedmaster handle and Fineredge adapter and 18V Makita Lipo battery

$199 + battery price

Nitro engines up to .67

Dynatron starter converted to 24V Lipo wirelesss with solenoid, no battery, no charger.

$224

Nitro

engines up to 1.01

ATV 14.8V starter by Boris Mazor, no charger

$204

Nitro engines up to 1.01

This is a good time to compare price and capability of starters. Boris

Latest posts

Back