System 3 T-88 epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

A search on this forum did not show any past thread on System 3 epoxy. I am starting a new build soon and will need more epoxy. I prefer to buy the adhesive in 8 oz package to make sure they are always fresh.

My local hobby shop only carries Bob Smith Industry and Great Planes epoxy. The slow setting is 30 min. I prefer longer working time.

Has anyone used System 3 before? Other choices include West System G-flex 650 and Z-poxy 30 min

Thanks,
k

I use the T-88 and really like it a lot. Very slow cure. I mix it in about 1/2 oz portions and after an hour or so, it has the consistency of peanut butter which is great for fillets. Doesn't seem to really "flash off" but rather just gets thicker before finally hardening. A friend of mine built a couple wood kayaks and a canoe with it and really likes it as well.

I have used System 3 for over 20 years and really like it, both the standard and their Clear Coat. Clear Coat is great for sealing due to its super thin consistency, zero issues with “amine blush” and set time adjustable using Turbo Cure accelerator. They offer a range of additives, too. West Systems is also good but I like System 3 for sealing. Great Planes is lousy IMHO.

I have used the T-88 to build a Stock Outboard Hydroplane like the one in my picture you see on the left here. Working time is about 45 minutes before it starts setting up and I would let it dry overnight. You can sand it, also. VERY strong and it is clear.

Dick Tyndall

I use MAS
With the same epoxy one can use slow cure medium and fast cure hardener

It does NOT yellow like West. Has excellent bonding strength.
It can be obtained at Jamestown.

Jamestown has other great products.

Thanks all for your replies. I have ordered a 4 Oz size to start my build.

I remember maybe 20 years ago, I could buy MAS epoxy at my LHS in 8 Oz size. But from their web page, MAS is only available in gallon size.

k

Thanks all for your replies. I have ordered a 4 Oz size to start my build.

I remember maybe 20 years ago, I could buy MAS epoxy at my LHS in 8 Oz size. But from their web page, MAS is only available in gallon size.

k
Go to Jamestown and you can buy in quart and less since it is a 2 to 1 mix.

Bought some about 2-3 mo ago

You can get MAS in the pint size

TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy Kits (jamestowndistributors.com)

The West System 650 Gflex is a 1:1 ratio and great stuff for gluing stuff but not big sections as it is pretty thick.

I prefer a 1:1 ratio for building because of the ease of measuring small batches. Waste a lot less and mixes are more accurate when you only need small batches. It isn't fast though. Lots of working time.

Easiest way is to heat it up after mixing and it will pour right in a syringe for dispensing. Allows you to get it just where you need it.

Last edited:
You can get MAS is pint size

TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy Kits (jamestowndistributors.com)

The West System 650 Gflex is a 1:1 ratio and great stuff for gluing stuff but not big sections as it is pretty thick.

I prefer a 1:1 ratio for building because of the ease of measuring small batches. Waste a lot less and mixes are more accurate when you only need small batches. It isn't fast though. Lots of working time.

Easiest way is to heat it up after mixing and it will pour right in a syringe for dispensing. Allows you to get it just where you need it.
David Hall and I experimented many years ago when building the first JAEs and settled on the West Systems G Flex it is very strong and comes in 2 different versions bottles or pre thickened tunes both are slow cure like over night. Total bot also makes a similar type epoxy and it comes in a larger volume.

Back