Stuck drive shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Fantauzzi

I'm sure that at one time or another, we've all had a shaft stuck in the collett. Here's a couple of pics of a DIY tool that works great for me.

Attachments

• 20200220_100058.jpg
    20200220_100058.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200220_100239.jpg
    20200220_100239.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 107
I had this recently. I found a short sharp tap with a screwdriver and hammer was enough to loosen it :)

That tool will surely destroy your cable if it is stuck very hard.

Just shock the assembly and it will release most of the time.

That tool will surely destroy your cable if it is stuck very hard.

Just shock the assembly and it will release most of the time.
Used it a couples of times on pretty stubborn 3/16 shafts when all the tapping and pulling would not work..with this tool the cable came out easy peasy. If the cable is so stuck that a puller would damage it...maybe it's time for a new Collett.

Used it a couples of times on pretty stubborn 3/16 shafts when all the tapping and pulling would not work..with this tool the cable came out easy peasy. If the cable is so stuck that a puller would damage it...maybe it's time for a new Collett.

Lol.
If it is so stuck you need a puller it is time for something alright.

Neat tool. I guess if one was stuck really bad you could loosen drivedog and a spacer and the prop nut could pull the cable too.

I didn't think when they were stuck they would pull very easily because they are pinched or whatever you wanna call it. The quick sharp bump has always released them for me.

I just built a oversized version of that for somebody recently to pull the sponsons off of the boom tubes.

My method for a stuck one that has always worked is to pull the collet nut completely and then tap with end of screwdriver straight down on the rear of the insert and it shock it free.

If you were referring to them Octura long fingered crazy collets you might have the tool for those. They just death grip it all the way out.

Lol.
If it is so stuck you need a puller it is time for something alright.

Neat tool. I guess if one was stuck really bad you could loosen drivedog and a spacer and the prop nut could pull the cable too.

I didn't think when they were stuck they would pull very easily because they are pinched or whatever you wanna call it. The quick sharp bump has always released them for me.

I just built a oversized version of that for somebody recently to pull the sponsons off of the boom tubes.

My method for a stuck one that has always worked is to pull the collet nut completely and then tap with end of screwdriver straight down on the rear of the insert and it shock it free.

If you were referring to them Octura long fingered crazy collets you might have the tool for those. They just death grip it all the way out.
The one that gave me the most trouble was a Collett with brass jaws. The brass is soft and it gets squeezed into the shaft spires. After I removed it with the above tool, I immediately threw it in the garbage. Stainless steel is the only way to go.

Ive used a pair of diagonal pliers after removing the collett nut just place jaws around brass and pry against body.
Usually only happens on brass inserts and when it does I also throw the brass insert in the trash. Ive used stainless but not really that fond of them.
Richard

The one that gave me the most trouble was a Collett with brass jaws. The brass is soft and it gets squeezed into the shaft spires. After I removed it with the above tool, I immediately threw it in the garbage. Stainless steel is the only way to go.
You have the right idea. The brass collet inserts on 3/16" cable nuts always stick. I have ask for the ones making them to make out of stainless but they say that is what they always have done. But I do remember years back that Aeromarine made them out of stainless. So I always make new stainless for the ones I use.

Back