Strut greasing and bushings?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kurtz

I had a strut bushing go on me after only about 10 runs or so. I always pull the cable after a days runs and grease everything. Should I be doing that or at least shooting some grease in the grease port on the strut after every run? I'll recheck all my props for balance but I balance and sharpen them and was fairly happy with how balanced they were.
What are you guy's doing?
Why doesn't anyone run needle bearings in the struts? Seems like that is what I did years ago when I ran boats the last time.

What bushing are you using? for gas boats most setups use the 1/4 id brass tube for a bushing fit in the 5/16 strut tube. ReGrease after a days run or use a oiler with caster oil.

I had a strut bushing go on me after only about 10 runs or so. I always pull the cable after a days runs and grease everything. Should I be doing that or at least shooting some grease in the grease port on the strut after every run? I'll recheck all my props for balance but I balance and sharpen them and was fairly happy with how balanced they were.
What are you guy's doing?
Why doesn't anyone run needle bearings in the struts? Seems like that is what I did years ago when I ran boats the last time.
Chris, in order to run needle bearings in the strut you would have to have a hardened stub shaft on your cable. All are soft as far as I know. Lead/Teflon bushings could be an option but the strut I.D. would need to be opened up for the O.D. of the bushings.
John

Thanks John, that makes sense. Seems like most agree that the brass sleeve type seems to work the best from what I've been reading.

Cannot imagine running for a day and not re-greasing . Oiler is the way to go with all our boats . Constantly lubricating the entire shaft . Never take it out for 3 days at the races .

Thanks Tom. I'm still relearning everything after being away for over 10 years. In my other two boats I did in fact add an oilier.

Hello Chris

Do yourself and the flexshaft a favour and use the 11/32" brass log ,,which will reduce unwanted friction..
Then step down the brass joins at the strut end ,,to enable the brass to push completely through the strut ,,also can drill oil holes in strut end of brass ..

Chris, in order to run needle bearings in the strut you would have to have a hardened stub shaft on your cable. All are soft as far as I know. Lead/Teflon bushings could be an option but the strut I.D. would need to be opened up for the O.D. of the bushings.
John
1/4" Lead teflons are 5/16" O.D and fit the 5/16 I.D. of most any strut perfectly.

I manufacture a stinger drive that uses 3 lead Teflon bushings. There are 2 bushings at the business end a 1 at the other end. I’ve had guys tell me, if they grease the drive the way I tell them to, the bushings have lasted up to 3 seasons.

My suggestion is that the stinger be greased every time the boat either comes in after a heat, or before it goes out again.

I'm usually pretty good about maintenance but I didn't necessarily lube it every time I ran it. I only ran it maybe 8 or 10 times, (not in the same day with lube after 2 or 3 runs.) I suspect there may have been another issue or some sort of debris that got in there to cause the premature wearing.
I did re-check all my props and they are all dead nuts on sharpened and balanced.
I've ordered several sets of lead Teflon bushings as well as making my own brass sleeves with lube holes.
I will also be utilizing shaft lube canisters on my boats from here on out too.

Just wondering if a wire drive or square drive set up would maybe be a little easier on bushing/bearings.
If it happens again I'll maybe try out either a different flex cable or drive system.

The oilers solve all the problems . The brass shaft bushings in my Twin 91 hydro are over two seasons old . As I stated before the shafts will stay in the boat for a 3 day race with a few runs also in open water . Pull them out to clean up on sunday and the are completely coated in oil . Unreal .

Great job Tom. Thanks for the info and pic. I think I'll steal your design and do something similar.

Latest posts

Back