Straight or Tapered edge rudders?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Solinger

Just taking a survey. This is more for the hydro runners but any information is good. Between straight and tapered edge rudders, which type of rudder do you preffer and why?

s1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For my needs, the answer is simple......I use both.

A lot depends on the actual boat. If I want lift in a turn, the tapered chord rudder is the way to go. If I want 0 lateral transition, a constant chord rudder is best.

For my set ups, constant chord rudder on riggers and deep vee monos, tapered chord on shallow vee's and any hull that requires lift in a turn.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

J Solinger said:
Just taking a survey. This is more for the hydro runners but any information is good. Between straight and tapered edge rudders, which type of rudder do you preffer and why?
s1.gif

87433[/snapback]

Non tapered prefered. No lift when turning.

I also prefer the straight blade for my riggers. Like John said, no induced lift. On my 1/8 scales however, I use the Speedmaster rudders with the taper as I run the rudder on the left of the transom. By inducing a little lift on the left rear it helps keep the right front planted, i.e. helps keep the turn fin hooked up. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been designing a new hydro hardware set and want to match up a good rudder shape. I use a straight edge but have had equal requests for tapered. I just need to pick a shape for the first run of new rudders. I'm leaning for the straight edge at this point.

Back