State of Affairs for RC Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool idea but if boat in lane 1 decides to go long and boat in lane 2 decides to stay oval you have a problem.

Not if the boat going to the far bouy has to move to the outside on the front stretch. My last added thought to doing it this way is it's much easier to combine classes that have a big speed difference. The faster class goes around the offshore bouy twice to make it closer at the finish

CD's nightmare... You'd have to have a second CD just to look at the folks entering and exiting the offshore buoy for right of way violations....... and keep track of who has done the offshore lap.

Something as simple as a Tri-oval course would be something different, though not enough room at my pond to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Joker Lap like they have in Ralley Cross its the equalizer. Its also the fastest growing segment in Motorsports because it's even things out

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Chilli,

You could make the left end of the course a regulat turn and make the right side a 1/4 mile oval turn. Not all the faster boats can make a tight turn. Might give the slower boats a chance to catch up and at the same time get buoy 4 further away from that big rock at the end of the back SAW.

Pill draw for lane one and 10 laps and make the course like a paper clip in shape. Race hard for 3 rounds top six boats race for the Trophy at days end

Pill draw for lane one and 10 laps and make the course like a paper clip in shape. Race hard for 3 rounds top six boats race for the Trophy at days end

Where the heck are all these crazy ideas coming from? Can you see a bunch of hydros trying to turn left to make it to a offshore buoy (crash city) Limiting access to lane one by a draw is really a hairbrain idea. How the heck is the CD supposed to keep track of all these things. I like it the way it is now. Let's try and think of other ways to draw people. Less politics and more fun.

Bill

Well this thread has gone all over the map that's for sure but some of these latest suggestions are "interesting" to say the least............

diagonal starting line- ummm.... right. All too often it's hard enough now to have race starts called with consistency and at times even fairly with a straight start line. Disputes over the starts, blatant favoritism on calls to "buddies" in the heat (like calling someone over who's not or not calling their pal over when it was so obvious), people known for being over or cutting people off but they don't want to make that person mad so no call and that's just a few examples. And don't even try to say it doesn't happen as it has and still does happen way too much.

pill draw for lane one- this one made me chuckle a little bit. Ok so say you do that, when does the "right to lane one" end? At the start line? Buoy one? The first lap (that would be ridiculous BTW)? You think you've got a problem with people diving for lane one now, just add this and watch it get even worse. And then what happens when someone is "lucky" and draws the lane one pill two or even more times at a race? If you think for one minute others won't ***** about that you are sadly mistaken.

designing a course to give slower boats a chance- are you F'n kidding?? What's next participation trophies?? Those that have been around this game long enough should have no problem remembering what it was like in the beginning- you usually got your butt handed to you by the "fast guys" until you learned how to go faster and drive better. Unfortunately now with the gas classes a guy as green as the grass can simply fork over enough cash and have a boat just as fast as most out there but can't drive as well as the "learning curve" is not there like it used to be.

And the last sentence brings up a point that seems to be a big issue by reading some of these posts, the creepy crawly fight in the gas classes for lane one. Won't argue that one at all, I often see more duct tape get used at one race now than I'd see used all year because of this. Don't get me wrong as I applaud people looking at ways to make it better but more thought needs to be put into it on some of these suggestions, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Now I too have a couple ideas that I'll toss out there that are very simple and require no "physical" changes......

must be on plane for entire last mill lap - granted there is a slight discretionary angle to this but I feel the vast majority knows what on plane means and would not be hard to explain to someone who might not get it (or decides to play stupid). This to me would be the easiest way to bust up the whole creepy crawly issue with making drivers get better at managing clock time which brings me to the second one-

require full mill - 3/4, 1/2 or whatever you want to call it has always been a joke to me as any shmo can cut the course to hit the start and that is where I had seen so many arguments ensue. Our district used to be "dual carded" as we ran both IMPBA and NAMBA races and as a CD I dreaded calling the NAMBA races as so many disputes and verbal fights started over the "3/4 mill" deal. Always crap like "he cut me off" "I had the right of way" blah, blah blah on and on and on. When we dropped the NAMBA races and went straight IMPBA it was like having a 50 pound sack of crap taken off your shoulders with the "pre-start" issues. I'm sure some will not like this idea and that's fine, we all have our opinions but this will make drivers get better at managing clock time and learning to position themselves (drive) better for the starts.

Flame suit on.............
default_biggrin.png

A paper clip shape you should not have to go left unless your negative entering the corner. How is this systems working now for attracting new boater. Boating is declining not growing and it's needs new ideas to possibly attract a new group

Don, don't forget to add that everyone should get a trophy so there's never any need to apply yourself to improve your driving, equipment, preparation or even show up on a regular basis to develop any of these skills because everyone is special,and if it doesn't go your way, well you can always comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that you are a victim.

Don, don't forget to add that everyone should get a trophy so there's never any need to apply yourself to improve your driving, equipment, preparation or even show up on a regular basis to develop any of these skills because everyone is special,and if it doesn't go your way, well you can always comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that you are a victim.
Great comments Don.

Bill

A paper clip shape should not require you to go left unless you use different paper clips or unless you go negative going into the corner. I would hope that being a CD you could watch one boat take and hold his lane up to the start of a race with other boats driving over the top of the lane one guy witch happens now. How are these old rules working now? We sure don't have a lot of people joining every year. I done this for 20 years and it's the same guys unless they die and then that place never gets filled with new blood. I have brought 8 new people in over the last couple years and they watch and go the boat in lane one wins 95% of the time this isn't racing there no passing I can pass on X Box

How boats can fit in lane one for a legal start because if you stick 6 in there let's do it but if you have to mantain a lane then there's a problem. So you must think that the boat in lane one winning 95% of the time is really racing and they have the best equipment. I takes 5-7 mph to pass on the outside and in gas nobody really has that on tap no matter what equipment you have. This is not about getting a lolipop it a perception from a perspective new boater that he will never have a chance to excell because he never has a chance because lane one is always taken by the same couple of boater every heat race

Well this thread has gone all over the map that's for sure but some of these latest suggestions are "interesting" to say the least............

diagonal starting line- ummm.... right. All too often it's hard enough now to have race starts called with consistency and at times even fairly with a straight start line. Disputes over the starts, blatant favoritism on calls to "buddies" in the heat (like calling someone over who's not or not calling their pal over when it was so obvious), people known for being over or cutting people off but they don't want to make that person mad so no call and that's just a few examples. And don't even try to say it doesn't happen as it has and still does happen way too much.

pill draw for lane one- this one made me chuckle a little bit. Ok so say you do that, when does the "right to lane one" end? At the start line? Buoy one? The first lap (that would be ridiculous BTW)? You think you've got a problem with people diving for lane one now, just add this and watch it get even worse. And then what happens when someone is "lucky" and draws the lane one pill two or even more times at a race? If you think for one minute others won't ***** about that you are sadly mistaken.

designing a course to give slower boats a chance- are you F'n kidding?? What's next participation trophies?? Those that have been around this game long enough should have no problem remembering what it was like in the beginning- you usually got your butt handed to you by the "fast guys" until you learned how to go faster and drive better. Unfortunately now with the gas classes a guy as green as the grass can simply fork over enough cash and have a boat just as fast as most out there but can't drive as well as the "learning curve" is not there like it used to be.

And the last sentence brings up a point that seems to be a big issue by reading some of these posts, the creepy crawly fight in the gas classes for lane one. Won't argue that one at all, I often see more duct tape get used at one race now than I'd see used all year because of this. Don't get me wrong as I applaud people looking at ways to make it better but more thought needs to be put into it on some of these suggestions, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Now I too have a couple ideas that I'll toss out there that are very simple and require no "physical" changes......

must be on plane for entire last mill lap - granted there is a slight discretionary angle to this but I feel the vast majority knows what on plane means and would not be hard to explain to someone who might not get it (or decides to play stupid). This to me would be the easiest way to bust up the whole creepy crawly issue with making drivers get better at managing clock time which brings me to the second one-

require full mill - 3/4, 1/2 or whatever you want to call it has always been a joke to me as any shmo can cut the course to hit the start and that is where I had seen so many arguments ensue. Our district used to be "dual carded" as we ran both IMPBA and NAMBA races and as a CD I dreaded calling the NAMBA races as so many disputes and verbal fights started over the "3/4 mill" deal. Always crap like "he cut me off" "I had the right of way" blah, blah blah on and on and on. When we dropped the NAMBA races and went straight IMPBA it was like having a 50 pound sack of crap taken off your shoulders with the "pre-start" issues. I'm sure some will not like this idea and that's fine, we all have our opinions but this will make drivers get better at managing clock time and learning to position themselves (drive) better for the starts.

default_biggrin.png
I like the idea of the on plane mill witch would also stop the same person being in lane one all the time potentially. In Namba they creepy crawl the start in lane one and if you pull in front of them they call a wash down because you accelerated to get in front of them.

default_biggrin.png
Don, you hit it spot on ! I'm all game for how to recruit more people through some ideas, but, as I stated earlier,,atrraction and promotion through our own individual efforts (at the club level). I've seen it time and time again, new guy shows up,,starts asking questions, he gets the cold shoulder. The newcomer IS THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to growing the sport, give them the time of day folks !!! As far as the lane one thing....really ?!! Lol, isn't that part of the race. If "you're" getting beat to lane one, here's an idea...PRACTICE GETTING LANE ONE, AS HARD AS YOU PRACTICE MAKING YA BOAT GO FAST [emoji3].....cmon guys, this is, after all, racing, is it not ?
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is our offshore course. Forget the green inside bouy but for one lap go around the outside bouy .not a sermen just a thought

capitolrcpondoffshorecourse.jpg

I like all these ideas. Anything to break up the monotony and make it a race, not just a parade. Maybe we could have a 10 lap race with a slanted start or (buoy 6 impba)(buoy 10 namba) start. The slanted start would have to have a straight line finish. We can always try these out at local races to see how they work. Here in District 12 we have a gas only race where we run 8 laps. If we come up with something that works we could make a motion through the proper channels to insert the option into national races. It makes sense to at least try it in the gas classes at the local level to see what comes of the different formats. Keep the ideas coming!

As far as the lane one thing....really ?!! Lol, isn't that part of the race. If "you're" getting beat to lane one, here's an idea...PRACTICE GETTING LANE ONE, AS HARD AS YOU PRACTICE MAKING YA BOAT GO FAST [emoji3].....cmon guys, this is, after all, racing, is it not ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Exactly!

default_biggrin.png
No flame suit required from my point of view.

Relevant points ,

My thoughts, an angled start line ( like a track course )will NEVER work, period. CD One TIME - and yeah - NO .

The idea Mic had of - committing to a lane and the start be more near the exit of 6 / 10 Namba - I kinda like.

That said , you committed to a lane as you enter the back stretch - exit of 3 / or 5 Namba , and thats it . Stay on plane would be a slippery slope with the gas guys - lol .

I kinda like 1/2 mill , as we have done it for a while now down here , but honestly, I can wear ya out on the clock either way, as long as my stuff is right.
default_wink.png

The Le Mans Tunnel starts in specific classes and the Tri-Oval - IMHO Where the best !!!!!

Gotta shake the tree at local one day races and see if it works for YOUR CLUB - look outside the box / oval
default_ph34r.png

Latest posts

Back