Starter batteries.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that when you put a healthy battery like a high C LiPo pack using the 60 amp max rating push button switch will usually not last very long. If you want it to last and be dependable with 6S LiPo you must install a solenoid to do the switching so pushbutton has no load on it.

There are not many 24 volt coil solenoids so you have to use a balance connctor to get 11.1 volt out of just 3 cells for the control power for the switch and solenoid. Or run 2 3S packs so you can pull off one for control voltage.

Have heard it often that people seem to think these motors are going to use less amps with more voltage and that is not the case. Double the volts you double the amps the motor draws.

Last edited:
Since i'm running a wired setup with 2x3s Lipo in a box and want to be able to start at 3s or 6s with my dynatron, I was thinking of adding a small step up module to convert both voltages to 24V and then use a 24v.

step up module: LM2577 DC-DC Adjustable Step-up Power supply Boost Converter Module 5v 12v Car | eBay
24V relay: https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Current-Contactor-Batteries-Isolator/dp/B071Y4JVKC/

With 2 3S batteries you already have 11.1 volt right there, Twice.

Just tap off one pack for control voltage for a standard 12 volt solenoid.

Last edited:
With a 3 amp max output rating on those convertors... they will smoke on the first start.

Your not seriously thinking he was going to use that to power the starter were you ?

He was going to use that for control power for the 24 volt coil on the relay I would hope. The coil uses very little current.

He is on the wrong path though for sure. Stick with 12 volt coil on relay and use voltage already there in each pack.

He even has 24 volt there from both packs he could even utilize while only using 3S on the starter motor when he wants. The control power could still come from both pack for the 24 volt coil. Sure as heck is no need for what he is talking about doing with that voltage converter.

Wrong way to do this. It could work but why would you waste money and time to add a component you do not need for any reason whatsoever.

It fails and your dead and not even in the water. Lol.

The best and easiest way is to use 12 volt coil relay on the 11.1 volt from one pack. I have made quite a few 12/24 volt starter battery setups over the years all with 12 volt starter solenoids for switching getting your coil voltage from one of the 12 volt batteries. No electronic to fail on you.

Last edited:
His post is very confusing. I read it that he might want to be able run 12 or 24 on the output. Hence his "start at 3s or 6s with my dynatron" comment. I did that like 25 yrs ago with a switch. Used a household 3way switch. It would cut out one of the batteries. I was able to go 12 or 24 and also reverse it with a 4 way switch. What I had laying around since I am an electrician.
Mike

Your not seriously thinking he was going to use that to power the starter were you ?
Actually I did!
A lot of people don't read the specs fully, and don't understand the difference between volts and amps.

I was also confused by the 3s 6s comment and the need for the voltage modules in the first place.

I didn't want to see him waste his time or money if his plan was to power the starter thru the modules..

Question , are the guys using the 6 S batteries draining them back down to storage charge after the weekend of racing . I understand this is the best thing to do ? Thanks .

Last edited:
Back