St. Louis Thunderboaters race May 22,23rd

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Hildreth

The St. Louis Thunderboaters are holding a Race on May 22, and 23rd. There will be open water on Frida, May 21. The race will be held at Frank Holton State Park. We are running two days but it will be similar to a one day race format. We will run all heats for the class on the same day and hand out the trophies at the end of that day.

Saturday's classes: B-Mod Tunnel, Open tunnel, B-Mono, D-Mono, Open Mono, B-Hydro, D-Hydro, E-Hyrdo, and F-Hydro

Sunday's Classes: Open Gas Hydro, Open Gas Mono, Sport Gas Hydro, Open Cat, Sport 40, 1/8th Scale, Novice Class(.21's only, consists of anyone who has never won a trophy)

It will cost $15.00 for the first Boat and $8.00 for each additional boat, no limits. Family rules apply.

IMPBA sanctioned, IMPBA Rules, Cards will be checked at the race. ALL NEW QUIET PIPE RULES APPLY.

Trophies consist of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. There is also a High Points Traveling Trophy (which you will designate the two classes you wish to count for high points when you enter the race)

Any questions you can call either me, Ken Hildreth, at (314)831-7476 or Dave Sandell at (636)296-4697. You can also email me at [email protected]. To get a copy of our flyer

email me.

St. Louis Thunderboaters would also like to thank all the sponsers: Aeromarine, Speedmaster, Al's Hobby, Tidewater, Specialty Auto Body, BH Hanson, Stoner Racing and Cooper Pipes.

Any other donations for the race or raffle will be appreciated and will be reconized by being added to our flyer the following year.

Look Foward to seeing you, Bob, I dont have Sport 20 on the list. But if i can get enough of you guys to enter them. I will gladly make the trophys up for them. SPeaking of trophys, the first place trophy this year will have a pic of you and your boat on it. Its something new this year we thought we would try. So if you win, Be prepared to pose. The guys racing on Sat. will get theirs sunday morning if they stay, And we will give a certificate and then mail the ones on sunday. THis will be for the first place trophys only, we will stick with our logo for second and third. We have also added 19 tons of rock to our launch area. this should make it much safer going in and out of the water this year. thanks, Ken

If you bring the money, and sign the forms which i will have with me, you can join the impba at the race site and race with us that day. Please enter the race with a flyer in advance though. I will email you one if you need it. just ask. Thanks Ken

Ken,

What day will the sport 20s run, if they do?? I was just planning on comming on Sunday.

They will run on sunday. saturday is already full of classes. And Phil Thomas plans to bring his. So that would mean I only need one more to make the class. Who knows, Mine might be done by then. I just need to finish up the radio box and dismantle and paint it. It could happen. Go ahead and enter. I think there is a good chance that the class will make the minimum. THanks, Ken

Still trying to raise entries. Should be a good race. We have alot of prizes for our raffle. Including 100.00, 50.00 and 25.00 certificates from Aeromarine. A free Paint Job From Dean Werges, A Sport 20 from Rc Marine designs, 25.00 Gift certificates from speedmaster. Gift Certificates From ALS Hobby, Hats, and Stuff from Red Max Fuels. and stuff from Tidewater. I would like to thank our sponsors. We have some cool thunderboaters shirts we are going to sell. We have put alot of work into this race so come on over!!! Ken

Yes Steve, I did, And Sport 20 is a go!! I have enough entries for the class. So dont forget to bring it. What I dont have is any entries from my own district. I have done as they requested and split the classes with some running on sat and some on sunday. And they still dont enter or come. I do not have one district 4 member racing here other than the members of our club. Plus, I feel I have lost a few entries by splitting the classes due to the fact that the indy boys had nothing to run on sunday. It would be nice if the Distrct 4 guys would show their support. Is it going to be true that the district that says they are concerned about losing race sites isnt going to have one member show up here? I thank the Evansville and Huntsville club for their support. I will show up at summer thunder and mendota later this year and you guys up north will have to listen to me while I am up there racing. I hope to talk a few members into comming with me but i am not sure how easy that will be with none of you showing up here. I sincerely hope that I get a few Dist 4 members that enter late and prove me wrong. I would appreciate your support. Ken

I got to talk to Ken on the phone last night (Tuesday) and I really understand his position much better. First off, on behalf of Ken, he did not intend his comments to be directed to district four individuals. Ken is in a tough position being closer to other districts rather than his own. His draws are from other areas. We got to talking last night, and think we found a way to not hurt his 'southern' attendance while hopefully increasing his northern draw for 2005. Different districts work in different ways. D4 has grandfathered weekends where a club either says 'yeah or nay' to their designated weekend. Ken then has to work with the other districts not to 'step on' his D4 date, so that everyone in the south can attend Evansville and Huntsville, just to name a few.

Ken is a wonderful guy for anyone that knows him, and after talking to him, I know I understand what he goes through every year with scheduling. He and the entire St. Louis club should be commended by our district for keeping his race alive.

Ken informed me that they have done some major updates to the pond, and their club is 18 members strong, with a large infusion of gas boats, which is rare in our district.

Thanks

Garrett Randall

sorry, bill, I only had one other one. ACtually, you could race it in mod as it is low in count also but at least it is a class. Where is that cool new hydro? Ken

Still waiting on a couple of parts being made 3rd channel mount and boom locks Mark Bullard is making them for me out Delrin. Other than that everything is almost done I need to go through my engines. I have 3 of the Picco 67 's with brand new pistons and sleeves ready for it. Plus I have to work up some props to try out. Plan to do alot of that while I am up in STL this next week.

Well, we had a fun weekend in St. Louis Dispite the windy conditions that we were plaqued with thru the weekend. A strong southwest wind was with us most of the weekend. We had 33 contestants and 68 boats. Our club ran fairly quick thru most of the weekend. I have to give them a hand as a fair amount of them are new and we held a good pace at about 7 to 8 heats an hour. We had four rounds of racing done on Sat. by 2:30 pm. thats including a 40 min lunch Sending our friends from out of town that just came for a day heading home early. on the first day the results are as follows

B mod tunnel

1st Ron Zaker Sr. Proving Macs can idle for six laps!

2nd Buddy Beaird

3rd Sam Bowden

B Mono

1st Phillip Sandell One of the Many "Young Guns"

we had showing thier stuff against much more seasoned racers.

2nd Bill Zuber

3rd Rich Zimmerman

B hydro

1st Ron Zaker Jr. "no real surprise here" his boat ran excellant despite the water conditions

2nd Buddy Beaird

3rd Carl Cisneros

Open Tunnel

1st Charlie Muench His boat finished every heat proveing speed doesnt always previal

2nd Ray Bowden

3rd Buddy Beaird Take note that buddy was hanging around the top of all three classes he entered

D Mono

1st Sammy Bowden I didnt mention this was another "Young Gun" in B tunnel Cuz He SPANKED his elder racers here. He drove awsome in this class.

2nd Charlie Muench

3rd Paul Viessman

D and E Hydro

1st Ron Zaker I forgot my 450 three blade for this water. hehe Ron didnt. His boat ran awsome all day long.

2nd Ken Hildreth

3rd Carl Cisneros

Open Mono

1st Ray Bowden Ray Dominated this class with great starts and staying down on the bouys.

2nd Phil THomas

3rd Charlie Muench

F Hydro

1st Dean Werges I am here to tell you, those gas boats are getting faster and faster.

2nd Carl Cisneros

3rd Ralph D.

that was day one. Ken

On day two the morning looked promiseing with the wind down and clouds looming with the threat of storms. Well it only rained a bit, and that was the calmest part of the day. then the wind came back from the exact same direction and it just got stronger as the day went on. Once again we were done early in the afternoon allowing everyone a chance to get home at a decent time. there were four rounds of racing.

I want to give a special hand to our novice drivers who were Driving so very well in tough conditions. these novices completed their five minute runs twice in the wind driving twenty boats. One little Girl did it twice with a tunnel. Those girls will be some of the young guns that will be whipping up on me and you in the near future. They are also the future of this sport. I feel this class should be pushed all the time. My son never got to run this class as it didnt exist. I hope that more clubs continue to do this to help get new people in this hobby.

Novice class

1st Mike Shuttleworth also the oldest novice hehe

2nd Amanda Cisneros Drove great all day long

3rd Laurin Schimik Finished with a tunnel more times than i could have. Great job.

Open Gas Mono

1st Steve Smith Steves lazer was set up perfectly for the conditions. He drove right on the bouys and had great starts.

2nd Chuck Hildreth. Yep, another "Young Gun". Veterans beware.

3rd Dean Werges Also The Mono driver that got the Most Air. If i knew how to post a pic, I would, I will send it to whoever would like to see it.

Sport 40 Our biggest class

1st Johnathon Benedict Another "Young Gun" they were making theirselves known. Finished everyheat.

2nd Dennis Wright.

3rd Rich Zimmerman

Open Cat

1st Dean Werges Dean had a Perfect score despite my efforts.

2nd Ken Hildreth

3rd Malachi Bartly

Sport 20

1st Phil Thomas

2nd Steve Peak

3rd Phillip Sandell

1/8 Scale Final

Man, WHat a wild final.

1st Phil Thomas Phil has really improved this boat from evansville where it first raced. He was running the Atlas "Blue Blaster" scratch built hull.

2nd Brian Schymik Driving the Miss Picco. it also handled the water well.

3rd Buddy Benedict. I am struggleing to remember the name of this boat. I know its new and its a doug shepard hull. Its also the only scale to stay in one peice in the final

the rest all had peices missing. including Phils

As for the raffle

there were many winners. Except for Mike Schindler who couldnt seem to win anything no matter who drew the tickets. Phil Thomas, of all people, Won the sport twenty he donated. He auctioned it off to the high bidder. Chuck Hildreth won the Zig zag racer. He is training alex as we speak in the pool. Paul Veismann won the paint job. Look out dean, Paul has a roundnose that needs paint. hehe. I think Paul also won the aeromarine 100 dollar certificate. I cant remember who won each speedmaster certificate. I know that Chuck also won a 75 dollar aeromarine certificate. I want to thank all the sponsors. Aeromarine, ALs hobby, Speedmaster, Tidewater, Red Max, Specialty Auto Body, Corner Hobby here in Red Bud IL. RC marine Designs, BIll Zuber, and Gateway Rc.

I would also like to thank the St. Louis thunderboaters for really showing teamwork and putting on a great race and not wasteing any time. They did a great job prepping and working at the race. Ken

Ken,

Sounds like a sucessful weekend. Very glad to hear that. Send me the picture, i'd like to get it on IMPBA4 (oh, and Iwaters too).

I'll also add your post to IMPBA4, with your permission of course.

Lastly, Ken, can i have ALL the scores from your race? Every entrant every class...Cathy Preusse is still taking entries for the high points, and I am unofficial score keeper. This is only the 2nd race so far that will count.

I will be signing people up at Quad Cities and Oshkosh...

Garrett Randall

Back