SPP outboard pipe history

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Atwell

Hey guys!
Trying to track down some info. We have an old Salisbury Power Pipe that we were hoping to get some more info on.
It’s an older design and the layup style does not look like the current lineup. This pipe has a different texture and is also wrapped in a red and green twine over black carbon fiber.
Has the same person/ group ran the show since inception or has the business traded hands? I will see if I have a picture of the pipe on hand, but curious to see if the pipe is the same as what is currently manufactured or if this is a one off. I know visually the pipe looks a bit different but that could also be due to the layup style.

Thanks for any info!

Hi Brandon,
Original manufacturer of the carbon pipes was Bolly. Dave Hatcliffe took it over and built the marine pipes. He did add a colorant to blacken them for a more pleasing look.
It has changed hands since, not sure who builds them now.

Bolly never produced outboard pipes.

Hey guys thanks for the replies!
I didn’t have any pictures in my camera roll, I will be back home Monday and I can get one posted

Hey Brian! The pigment is not like that, our pipe actually looks like black carbon fiber but just has the colored twine wrapped along in it.

Last edited:
Hi Brandon,
Original manufacturer of the carbon pipes was Bolly. Dave Hatcliffe took it over and built the marine pipes. He did add a colorant to blacken them for a more pleasing look.
It has changed hands since, not sure who builds them now.

Bolly never produced outboard pipes.
Ken,
Wasn’t Jeremy Wooster (sp) involved a few years back? Marty Davis and a few of us bought a number of pipes at the same time to save on shipping.
Thanks John

Hey guys thanks for the replies!
I didn’t have any pictures in my camera roll, I will be back home Monday and I can get one posted

Hey Brian! The pigment is not like that, our pipe actually looks like black carbon fiber but just has the colored twine wrapped along in it.

Heres another one I have which is a darker color and different twine. Is it the same shape? I may be wrong but I believe these were from when SPP first started. I know both of the pipes I have were purchased around 2004-2006. They still run great.

Attachments

• 00BADF31-B22A-45D8-B5F9-9C8435F3177A.jpeg
    00BADF31-B22A-45D8-B5F9-9C8435F3177A.jpeg
    941.2 KB · Views: 128
How the heck were those pipes made ?
air bladder?
lost wax process ?
foam mold ?

seems like this could be adapted to make some of the more popular pipes no longer available for inboard engine pipes also ..... ??

Heres another one I have which is a darker color and different twine. Is it the same shape? I may be wrong but I believe these were from when SPP first started. I know both of the pipes I have were purchased around 2004-2006. They still run great.

Shape does look similar, still a different color. Do you happen to know if the older pipe like that is still the current design? It looks like it favors the NR shape, but ours looks a smidge thinner than the newer ones. Figured that could be attested to differing layup styles.
Yea ours runs great with our setup, kinda why we were curious if it was replaceable. Once I get some pics I’ll shoot over Jeremy an email and see if it’s a design he’s still able to make it it isn’t the current setup.

How the heck were those pipes made ?
air bladder?
lost wax process ?
foam mold ?

seems like this could be adapted to make some of the more popular pipes no longer available for inboard engine pipes also ..... ??

It definitely could be, I know of other carbon pipes using a foam mold. The thing to keep in mind is the carbon harmonics differ greatly from aluminum, so it could change the attitude of the pipe. Some pipes may not run as well, some may run better

61D45986-2150-4660-A76B-61B2FAD18291.png

This is the only photo I have on my camera roll, you can’t tell much from the picture but the twine has a bit of a different shine, that’s the red/ green reflecting. The muffler looks more similar on the last pipe you posted than the previous.

Brian,

Your pipe was from Dave Hatcliffe when I was carrying them many
years ago. I still have some in stock.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Hey Mark, 21 pipes? Inboard and outboard or just inboard?
I’m interested in both varietes if they’re for sale, shoot me over some pics!

Shape does look similar, still a different color. Do you happen to know if the older pipe like that is still the current design? It looks like it favors the NR shape, but ours looks a smidge thinner than the newer ones. Figured that could be attested to differing layup styles.
Yea ours runs great with our setup, kinda why we were curious if it was replaceable. Once I get some pics I’ll shoot over Jeremy an email and see if it’s a design he’s still able to make it it isn’t the current setup.

I have no idea if the pipe is even close to the current design. They went through quite a few changes between then and now. My friend Rick Cesati was really into them, we tested a bunch of different style inboard SPP pipes back then. I remember he had a muffled pipe on his 21 hydro that was SUPER long. We called it the snake / cigar pipe. It was ugly, but it WORKED. ;)

Good times,
Brian

Hey guys, here’s a better photo of the pipe my brother is asking about. You can faintly see the red and green wrapping around the pipe. Has anyone seen one before?
6E5EEA7C-5B81-4D70-BDDA-5D3D652AD1E6.jpeg

Ian Inverarity is your man for the info i reckon...I believe he made most of the molds for them.

Latest posts

Back