Sport 40 Rebuild

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon White

Supporting Member
I'm redoing this PT Sport 40 and have and question. Where the strut and rudder would be are a lot of holes. Should I put epoxy in the holes and redrill new holes or epoxy a piece of wood in or fiberglass/ epoxy??

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_201146072.jpg
    IMG_20210830_201146072.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210901_200835.jpg
    IMG_20210901_200835.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 40
I'm redoing this PT Sport 40 and have and question. Where the strut and rudder would be are a lot of holes. Should I put epoxy in the holes and redrill new holes or epoxy a piece of wood in or fiberglass/ epoxy??
I am rebuilding a 40 vee. I used birch dowels to plug up the holes that I am not going to use. Then I sand it flush and glue a transom doubler on the inside

thanks,
k

Epoxy is better. It will flow into all the cracks and add strength. It works awesome on odd size holes. Sometimes I dont even sand it after I remove the tape.
Mike

I have to agree with Phil and Mike. I've been doing the same thing with a FG hull that I've been slowly restoring, the only difference is I've been mixing in micro-balloons when I have been filling in holes in vertical frames so the epoxy doesn't run out as easily. At the same time, I'm not making it into a thick paste so that the epoxy will still get into all of the gaps in the wood.

If you really want to add some strength you can add some very finely chopped lightweight fiberglass cloth mixed into the epoxy. Whatever you do, clean he bejeezers out of it first. I use warm water and detergent, air dry and then lacquer thinner.

I've used the chopped fiberglass filler they sell in most auto parts stores for repairs/restoring.

I also used to carry a quart can of it with me to races for emergency repairs!!

Micro balloons are for just filling holes is ok but if you want strength use the chopped fibre or cabosil and make it into a paste. Use some epoxy brushed on first then fill. Remember to V out cracks then fill with cabosil of fiber.

Brad

Actually guys, I used West Systems 209 hardener with silica fibers(406 filler). Looked earlier today and the color was not the usual white of balloons but a darker almost grey color. Sorry for the confusion

Brandon, looks like you've cleaned up the area pretty well. I have to agree with what Phil had to say. Also, Hydro Junkie mentioned West Systems silica fibers (406). I think that would work better than micro balloons. I'm doing some work at the present with epoxy and micro balloons. The work I'm doing doesn't require much strength. Learned that too much micro balloons makes for a week spot compared to straight epoxy. Doesn't cure as hard as fast as epoxy alone. Haven't used the 406 silica fibers. But I do have it on hand in case I need it. Can't tell for sure but, it looks like the plywood you have in the one photograph is three ply. If it's possible I myself would rather have more ply than that. As long as the holes aren't badly oil soaked... Straight epoxy should do just fine. The back of these hulls are pretty strong and solid. As long as any hardware is mounted on a good flat surface it should be fine.
Got one last thing to say... Brandon, welcome to my favorite class Sport 40!!! Ken Wheeler

Latest posts

Back