Sport 40 and the 2019 IMPBA Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Just thought I would share some regarding the race.

The quality of driver, for the most part, was as good as i have seen at a race. VERY skilled group.

The water was OK for sport racing. It would have been nice to have better water but in the end it was OK water.

The site for the race was as nice as they get. The area around the course is large and there is lots of room to go long. (My second visit)

There were some VERY fast boats in the field.

Then to my race.. I had not put a boat in the water sense last August and as it goes, life got in the way. Plus Golf, Helicopters, and planes! LOL

I had NO IDEA I had a shot at US1 with my Sport 40. Typically i can feel a good contest coming but this one snuck up on me.

My boat is a 2010 Super Sport 45 (one with the newer bottom) hull by Phil Thomas. This boat is pure QUALITY. I have raced this boat sense 2011. The motor is a CMB RS that Steve Cooper did for me. Its been a good motor. The rudder is Speedmaster as well as the strut. The turn fin is my own. The motor is offset to the right to force the drive line out 1deg. I have 8oz of lead over the left sponson. (A strange setup but it works well) NOTE: this is not how Phil sets them up and its proly best to follow his instructions.

I have a MAC pipe set at 10" with an after muffler. (not sure who made it)

Round one and two were good.. then round 3 the boat slowed down.. finished the heat and brought the boat in.. blew the coupler..LOL.. whew.. dodged a bullet. Round 5 came and it was GAME ON.. Eric was pushing me VERY HARD.. managed a win and when the boat came in.. and the cowl came off chunks of stuffing tube were in the bottom of the boat.. I nuked the stuffing tube...LOL WHEW.. again.. this could have went ALL WRONG! lol

Thanks to all the VERY kind racers at this years Internats. It was a fun race and it was good to catch up with old buddys and make new ones.

8th in SAW
3rd in Oval
1st in Heat Racing
US1.. YEA!

ROCK ON!

Grimracer

Attachments

• 20190609_182159.jpg
    20190609_182159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
You did a great job, heat racing double points are important part of the US1. I did 3rd in SAW 1st in OVAl but 6th in Heat racing.
Had a good chance at US1 but couldnt stay out of trouble HA. Like you said there were many fast boats in sport 40 this year.
The saw and oval days had bad winds to deal with off and on.

You did a great job, heat racing double points are important part of the US1. I did 3rd in SAW 1st in OVAl but 6th in Heat racing.
Had a good chance at US1 but couldnt stay out of trouble HA. Like you said there were many fast boats in sport 40 this year.
The saw and oval days had bad winds to deal with off and on.
Just though I would share some regarding the race.

The quality of driver, for the most part, was as good as i have seen at a race. VERY skilled group.

The water was OK for sport racing. It would have been nice to have better water but in the end it was OK water.

The site for the race was as nice as they get. The area around the course is large and there is lots of room to go long. (My second visit)

There were some VERY fast boats in the field.

Then to my race.. I had not put a boat in the water sense last August and as it goes, life got in the way. Plus Golf, Helicopters, and planes! LOL

I had NO IDEA I had a shot at US1 with my Sport 40. Typically i can feel a good contest coming but this one snuck up on me.

My boat is a 2010 Super Sport 45 (one with the newer bottom) hull by Phil Thomas. This boat is pure QUALITY. I have raced this boat sense 2011. The motor is a CMB RS that Steve Cooper did for me. Its been a good motor. The rudder is Speedmaster as well as the strut. The turn fin is my own. The motor is offset to the right to force the drive line out 1deg. I have 8oz of lead over the left sponson. (A strange setup but it works well) NOTE: this is not how Phil sets them up and its proly best to follow his instructions.

I have a MAC pipe set at 10" with an after muffler. (not sure who made it)

Round one and two were good.. then round 3 the boat slowed down.. finished the heat and brought the boat in.. blew the coupler..LOL.. whew.. dodged a bullet. Round 5 came and it was GAME ON.. Eric was pushing me VERY HARD.. managed a win and when the boat came in.. and the cowl came off chunks of stuffing tube were in the bottom of the boat.. I nuked the stuffing tube...LOL WHEW.. again.. this could have went ALL WRONG! lol

Thanks to all the VERY kind racers at this years Internats. It was a fun race and it was good to catch up with old buddys and make new ones.

8th in SAW
3rd in Oval
1st in Heat Racing
US1.. YEA!

ROCK ON!

Grimracer
Congrats on the us 1.i miss running against that boat.

Congrats to Mike. He ran well all week. It was a great bunch of drivers and more really fast boats than I have seen in one place in a long time. The water conditions were challenging at times, but that's part of winning a US-1, the person that deals with what's thrown at them the best will win. We had a blast and will be back. Thanks to all that helped put on a great race.

Mark

Latest posts

Back