Sport .20 setup issues

Help Support intlwaters.com:

Jarcaines

I have a “Lee Craft” (Arno Britts) sport .20 with a CMB Beta EVO that I’ve been fighting for a while now. I’ve gotten the ride to settle down a little bit, but now I’m fighting my motor. I thought it was the needle, but I’m not so sure after a day of testing.

Currently it will run about 2 laps looking perfect and then fall off with out fail, every time after 2-3 laps. Any idea what could be causing that? Pipe is 7 1/4 from the back of the head. Motor has a KRE carb. Any ideas?

Jarcaines

Good though Grim.

We were thinking maybe it’s getting to hot, since if dogs down after 2-3 laps and building some heat. Ran a round without the cowling and it stayed on for about 6 laps before I brought it in. Going to drill a few more holes in the cowl then play around a bit more with the pipe and needle. Unfortunately the next time I have to test will be at the Nats.

Tommy Levescy

Good though Grim.

We were thinking maybe it’s getting to hot, since if dogs down after 2-3 laps and building some heat. Ran a round without the cowling and it stayed on for about 6 laps before I brought it in. Going to drill a few more holes in the cowl then play around a bit more with the pipe and needle. Unfortunately the next time I have to test will be at the Nats.
Wrap your pipe and open the cowl up some more

shoboat

Jar,

You don’t have enough heat in the motor. Wrapping the pipe should
help and the Pipe works Very Well @ 8.5” center of plug to the weld
on the pipe. What prop, pipe, and fuel ⛽ % are you running?
A piece of foam up by the carburetor should stop any water from
bouncing into the carburetor. The CMB nitro pipe works very well
a touch longer than most think. With a little longer pipe length you
should have a more consistent heat racing set up for the LA Nats.

Just A Few Ideas,

Mark Sholund

Samuel Hagan JR

Does it blow the plug when it dies? Have you tried changing fuel? We had a similar issue with ours and it was the fuel. Have you tried it with the stock carb back on it?

Jarcaines

Jar,

You don’t have enough heat in the motor. Wrapping the pipe should
help and the Pipe works Very Well @ 8.5” center of plug to the weld
on the pipe. What prop, pipe, and fuel ⛽ % are you running?
A piece of foam up by the carburetor should stop any water from
bouncing into the carburetor. The CMB nitro pipe works very well
a touch longer than most think. With a little longer pipe length you
should have a more consistent heat racing set up for the LA Nats.

Just A Few Ideas,

Mark Sholund
Mark,
I am measuring my pipe length from the back of the head at the exhaust port (don’t like the extreme angle measuring from the plug) that’s where I got the 7 1/4. I’m using the CMB Nitro pipe and 60% nitro.

Unfortunately the boat is packed in the trailer now and I can’t double check the prop we settled on. I’ll keep all this ready when I get down to LA, thanks a ton for the help!

Wesleys Custom Graphics

I am having similar issues but I'm running the cmb carb with the idle needle cut off. Getting a new needle in a few days to see if that helps. Mine runs like a raped ape but wants to surge after a few laps and there is no midrange or idle.

Grimracer

Wes.. in my testing cutting LSN or backing them out has always proven to be a bad choice. It has been far better for me.. to TUNE that needle.

Keep us posted.

Grim

Bradley Maglinger

When I first got my CMB Beta motor in 2015 I would have this problem in my Redman Roundnose. What I found was that the motor was not getting enough heat, I wrapped the pipe, and restricted the water flow to the same flow number as my motor with a needle valve at the transom. I have since restricted my water even more which has allowed me to richen the motor more. My deck clearance is 8 thou, and I ran my CMB pipe at 8.5 with an M440, Low needle is cut out. I ultimately believe the betas like heat.

Jarcaines

When I first got my CMB Beta motor in 2015 I would have this problem in my Redman Roundnose. What I found was that the motor was not getting enough heat, I wrapped the pipe, and restricted the water flow to the same flow number as my motor with a needle valve at the transom. I have since restricted my water even more which has allowed me to richen the motor more. My deck clearance is 8 thou, and I ran my CMB pipe at 8.5 with an M440, Low needle is cut out. I ultimately believe the betas like heat.
Thanks Bradley, great info.

What do you mean by deck clearance?

Also, I measure my pipe from the exhaust port, not the glow plug.

The heat thing makes sense, but I was surprised that it ran so much better without the cowling. Any thoughts on why that would be?

Latest posts