Sponsons and Tub Tips

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why couldn't the front boom become the LE of the sponson and tub shaped as an airfoil ?

there's an idea...
Google Switzer Wing .
Switzer Craft 18' Flying Wing T 414 'Jelly Bean' | T189 | Indy 2018

I think it's been a learning curve for a long time,,
look at what guys did years ago on riggers..
As the speeds got faster, the boats began to lift off so much that they were putting flaps and wings on sponson booms to try to keep the boats planted.

Now that new technology has improved design and our understanding of what works best and the speeds are increasing to the point that current technology is becoming the limit, we need to look at every single critical issue to andvance further... which why I threw out the idea of the front boom becoming the leading edge of the sponson and tub.

Kind of like indy car tech, if there needs to be a part on the car, I guarantee that it is improved and incorporated into the design of the total car.
In other words,,we have to use a front boom to hold the sponson on the hull...why not incorporate it in every way possible.
That will lead to the rear boom attachment,, maybe that could be a triangulated tube design like that of the link bars of a RC truck or crawler.

This is just food for thought,,, I was thinking about how much air drag could be eliminated or directed around a rigger to advance the speeds and handling... that's all.

Watch this video and think about how stone age some of our boats seem...
This guy has major skills...

Aerodynamic integrated front sponson booms eh?

https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AATXAJwXY32Kg4nDVN2F6V8A3GRJ3XlF7UG-QmjCALdd=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo
Not a real good shot at that angle, but the front booms are integrated into the hull and aerodynamically shaped.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aA2DUIzK9cs/maxresdefault.jpg

Why couldn't the front boom become the LE of the sponson and tub shaped as an airfoil ?

there's an idea...
done
difficult and expensive to build. if ur not setting records then its a waste of time. not "too" much difference below 100mph.
all previous records all over the world where held (and some still are) by aerodynamically efficient hulls. look almost nothing like an average hydro.
on top theres Joerg with the fastest boat in the world.
there was the first gas boat to go over 100 .
actually that was the sg but the quickdraw boat i think broke 110.
dozens of eu/asia boats that are made in carbon that are really expensive al over the internet
most are missing the aero booms tho. they just use really small ones.
the jae thing is exploding cause all the nubes can get it easy. its all online now that makes the difference.
back in the day we hunted down the speed guys on the phone.
all the SPEED gurus are dead or simi retired.
info out there --GOOGLE . hate em but the search is priceless

Notice that the fastest RC boat still has round sponson tubes. The aerodynamics that count are the twin rudders to hold it straight at speed and rear wings in ground effect to lift out the water rudder and maintain the proper prop depth. All the JACs hydros use these factors.

Lohring Miller

Attachments

• Joergs rigger 1.jpeg
    Joergs rigger 1.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Joergs rigger 3.jpeg
    Joergs rigger 3.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Joergs rigger.jpg
    Joergs rigger.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 67
Lohring , after a few close looks at the pictures,l think that the sponson tubes are oval not round. I may be wrong!

According my recent reading about chaotic movements in liquids there are main attractor in equation to make this dynamic chaotic and this attractor is speed. I am here in the opposite site of Earth agree with all discussion here. Can say only one about my experience. I start my outrigger life in late 90's from a 3,5cc hydro with a huge weight about 3 kilo and now have 15cc rigger with a total race load about 5 kg. Try made a winglets on this rigger and, how was said earlier, have not much time to achieve a successful point in using them.

Latest posts

Back