Spektrum radios/ which receiver for nitro boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess no one wants to break the bad news.

Spectrum is the absolute worst junk you could ever install in a boat.

The cheapest junk Chinese Flysky would make a better choice.

Ever wonder why you go to a race and not a single Spectrum.

They crash boats. Cut your losses and get a good radio.

Richard.. lets talk...

I will PM you my phone number.. Give me a call after 6pm some time.

Mike

Richard.. lets talk...

I will PM you my phone number.. Give me a call after 6pm some time.

Mike
I've been using a skyfly for 3 years now with absolutely no problems knock on wood
I've had less problems with my sky Fly then I did my hitec

Hey Richard,
I just recently worked on a friends 21 Mono that has a Spectrum radio in it,
I ran the boat this past weekend with 0 issues.
When I get home this evening I'll let you know what RX he has in the boat.

The receiver in the boat that I ran last weekend was a Spectrum 2.4GHz R SR310 3 channel surface receiver
I do have the antenna about 3-4" out of the box in an antenna tube.

I have a couple of SR310 receivers. One of them has never been opened if you want to work out a deal. I went with my air system instead. The antenna on the SR310 is 7" long.....

Mate I’ve seen it happen more than once actually watched it last weekend brand new boat up the bank (spectrum radio) each to their own but many have warned people about it if you want to take a gamble go for it

Mate I’ve seen it happen more than once actually watched it last weekend brand new boat up the bank (spectrum radio) each to their own but many have warned people about it if you want to take a gamble go for it

I am with you Andrew, BUT I wonder if these people having issues are simply trying to use the car (land) Rx's and not reading the paperwork and buying the marine Rx's as people have mentioned above? Seems to be the only real reason some have issue and some do not.

It is certainly true that anyone I have seen try Spektrum have swapped to Futaba pretty quick. I still cannot believe I see people using the cheap FRSKY or what ever they are for their $1500 plus boats...makes me cringe lol but each to their own, not the spot to skimp on money that's for sure IMHO!

I am with you Andrew, BUT I wonder if these people having issues are simply trying to use the car (land) Rx's and not reading the paperwork and buying the marine Rx's as people have mentioned above? Seems to be the only real reason some have issue and some do not.

It is certainly true that anyone I have seen try Spektrum have swapped to Futaba pretty quick. I still cannot believe I see people using the cheap FRSKY or what ever they are for their $1500 plus boats...makes me cringe lol but each to their own, not the spot to skimp on money that's for sure IMHO!

This can happen and as we know it does..

I few notes.. (we boaters have some really bad install habits)...

Always us a Diversity receiver when running a boat
Always face the label up when placing your RX in the boat
Its best to use a 400mm RX antenna in ANY boating application
Make sure the RX antenna is as straight up out of the boat as you can make it.
DO NOT fold the end of the antenna over the antenna tube and cap it

If one follows these simple rules REGARDLESS OF WHO make the system you are using. This is the BEST YOU CAN do to solve all the wave reflection issue we face in RC boating and the use of 2.4

Grim

Hi:
All our boats, perhaps, could have problems of transmitter and receivers...
I´m racing my Top Speed 2 with OS 21 motor and Spektrum transmitter without problems so far. Of course, IMHO
I was thinking about my next Dragon Racing to assemble with a Novarrosi... but I think I have to change the radio station first, jejejejejejejeje…(It´s a joke, Kris Flynn, don´t worry ;) )

Good point.. as it goes Carbon fiber is not a great choice to surround a 2.4 radio system. The reason the 400mm antennas were designed was to get the the antennas out of larger aircraft made of carbon fiber.. (like jets)

In the end its our best first defense for RC boating as well.

Grim

Mark,
I have also seen this happen...but there are also ALOT more futaba radios at a race than any other :) It is more about the frequency/qty of incidents (Vs amount of radios being used) than anything.

I have seen certain people have issues with all brands of radios...so it is not always the radio haha

And yes Julio, I would advise that only radios which have not had issues in any Dragons...they are hard/slow to get! :p But that does not mean it has to be Futaba...just that you need to be aware incorrect use/setup of ANY radio WILL give you issues on the water!

Latest posts

Back