Sonic cleaning a new motor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cathey

Supporting Member
Prepped a new CMB 67 today and put the case in my sonic cleaner at 80 degrees Celsius for 90 minutes. I am always amazed when I see all the crud that comes out of the unmachined parts of the case. These are the after photos.

CLEAN MOTOR 1.JPGCLEAN MOTOR 2.JPGCLEAN MOTOR 3.JPGCLEAN MOTOR 4.JPG

When I rub the residue between my fingers it feels like it was superfine casting sand. Makes me wonder how much of this junk takes out bearings although I would guess a lot, if not most, of it comes from the outside of the case.

Mike, what brand of cleaner do you use and what do you use in it?
I found this solution at Micromark:
https://www.micromark.com/Utrasonic-Cleaning-Solution-ConcentrateSeems strange but I didn't find the cleaner itself
I use about a cup of the Simple Green purple Degreaser. You can get a gallon at Home Depot for $10

The cleaner is some Chinese ebay job. Holds about a gallon of water. I gave about $125 for it 4-5 years ago. Does a nice job with my wife's jewelry but I use cleaning solution specifically for jewelry. I got a stainless steel mesh basket sink trap to hold small parts/jewelry for a couple of bucks.

Last edited:
That is one clean engine!!

Brad

What's really cool is I can take a 10 year motor and run it at the same temperature but maybe a 1/2 hour longer and it comes out looking exactly like a new motor does. All the baked on crud is gone.

Now when I put new bearings in I remove the old bearings and clean the case in the sonic cleaner, rinse it in hot water, blow it out with high pressure air and then install the new bearings.

Last edited:
Nice !!! great idea. Care to share more about your sonic cleaner or where & what to get now?

I got mine from ebay and i can get a tune pipe in mine and the crap that comes out of it when cleaning. I paid $165.00 free shipping

Mike. Question. Can you put piston/sleeve into the sonic cleaner? Safe??
I would say yes . The actual cleaning process should have no effect on the parts . But what you use as a cleaning agent will . Using simple green and water should be fine . But any other caustic chemicals might erode the material . If people are looking sonic cleaners are also available from ammunition reloading companies . They are used to clean brass shells and come in many sizes from many manufacturers .

Mike how long do you leave engine in spimle green solutions for your motor
My machines timer has a max of 30 minutes. I put it through 3 consecutive times at the maxed out 80 degrees Celsius. For a gunked up motor double that.

The tuned pipes a couple of times. Since the metal is thinner maybe it vibrates more or something. I wish I had bought a bigger machine. I have to do one end of a pipe and then the other. Pretty amazing the crap that comes out of a tuned pipe. If it has a threaded in pressure tap check it afterward. Sometimes they get loose. I've had to loosen, clean the old locktite out with a rotary brush on a Dremel and add another drop of Red Locktite and cinch the nut back up.

Last edited:
Be careful what cleaners you use.. some will stain the castings. (I.E. Purple Power Cleaner and the like)..

Grim

Latest posts

Back