Something New that i am working on.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two ngk cmr7h spark plugs that cracked, the engine was running fine when empty, but once in the water it had no power, it had the same symptoms as a too rich carburetion

OK, got some good and bad news. Good news is I was able to mount the left back up and run some fuel thru it with the right spark plug. Motor acted like it was suppose to. Problem is that I also ran the right spark plug after the left and it seem to be working fine as well. I hate it when the problem is not repeatable. Since there is no way to troubleshoot it at that point. Frustrating.......'
Mike

Jay Stone got some really good photos at the race yesterday.

Attachments

• 190747291_10226343477315920_6134908802850507860_n.jpg
    190747291_10226343477315920_6134908802850507860_n.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 192229592_10226343502876559_6819148173233247469_n.jpg
    192229592_10226343502876559_6819148173233247469_n.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 158
Besides my motor issue, I made a few changes to help with the ride. It was pulling to the right hard under acceleration. I must of been drinking lots of beer when I laid out the bend on the turn fin. I usually have the top of the fin parallel with the bends. That way I can reference it to a straight line from boom to boom. The booms are level with ride. I had the sponson off the boat and the turn fin did not look right. It was tucked back and pulling the sponson down and right. Got out the measuring stick and sure enough. Dumbass crew chief is fired......LOL I also made a shim for the turn fin to put more left in. Easier then drilling booms and reversible. I also put some tuck in the rudder. This too was done with a shim that can be reversible. I also lower the angle of my rears shoes. There are a couple of Buaas props being built as well. Now just have to wait 2 weeks till the next race and she should hall the mail.
Mike

Don,
Yes they did. Still not done. Need some new props. I think they are too beefy. Going from 3016-20-50 to 3017-19-38. Mark is having good luck with his 2917-19-38. I think they should pull the 30s nicely. I also have a 1.5 rudder to bolt on. Was going to run Sunday in Eugene, but it going to be 110 degree. F... that. No AC in my car with a 4hr drive after spending the whole day in the sun. NOPE

Mikey,
When you ever going to finish that sp20?????

Just got back from the pond. the boats are working great. We need to make some minor changes to them. Marks fin needs a little more bend in it. I need to work on keeping the struts from moving. The right one tilts forward and start to bind up some. I also need a non trip wedge added to my left outside sponson. It is tripping sometimes. They both are strolling with the 3017-19-38 on. I had some spark plug issue in the middle of testing. Just ordered a bunch more so I can replace them when needed. These twins are ready. Cant say the same for my nitro. It is doing weird **** that has me and Mark scratching our heads. Done with it. Oh yeah. we got Fuzzies A stk lynx figure out too. It was a pack of 3 for that boat. Too cold of a plug, bad fuel, and waded up cable. Worst was the used fuel. It now going to be weed killer.
Mike

I also need a non trip wedge added to my left outside sponson. It is tripping sometimes

Mike, looking at the bottom of your sponsons, it looks like you use a ride pad or "shingle" that is wider than the body of the sponson.
Could the edge of the shingle be tripping it ?
would cutting it flush with the side of the sponson cure it ?

not sure I understand fully what tripping is unless it's digging in the water unexpectedly in the turn ??

A trio of twins tested today. Funny how small the twin 80 boat looks. Looking forward to racing these things in September! For boats that were an idea a few months ago, I am more then pleased how they are working out. Mike and I do things a bit different, but both boats are working well. Don Maher, Mark Bullard, and Brian Buass have helped out a ton with this project answering all of my dumb questions. Mike is a rigger guy, it has been 30 years since I designed one. That was a three point 40 boat. This is new ground for me. Going to start on a new one soon. I have more ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_101936676.jpg
    IMG_20210703_101936676.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 77
Frank you nailed it. Mike is going to bring the non trip down closer to the running surface. It never really trips over, but it is catching at times. I am not a fan of overhang on the outside of the left sponson.

A trio of twins tested today. Funny how small the twin 80 boat looks. Looking forward to racing these things in September! For boats that were an idea a few months ago, I am more then pleased how they are working out. Mike and I do things a bit different, but both boats are working well. Don Maher, Mark Bullard, and Brian Buass have helped out a ton with this project answering all of my dumb questions. Mike is a rigger guy, it has been 30 years since I designed one. That was a three point 40 boat. This is new ground for me. Going to start on a new one soon. I have more ideas.

Nicely done guys!! Been following the builds and it's nice to see you guys hitting the water and getting good results!!

As much as I love nitro, I believe we are staring square into the face of future twin rigger racing hulls right here.

The larger scale of the hulls combined with the ease of running gas engines, (not to even mention the nitro motor availability situation now) is going to push a lot of people to start building and running boats like these...

Racing will improve as reliable boats finish more heats and hopefully bring back the fun of driving in close races with more than 3 boats..

Back