Some parts I made.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it. I wish I took cad design in school. Still have lots to learn. I got some PETG in today. Gonna play around with it once I get it going.

not as cool and not as fun.. and off topic.. but they did turn out nice

Attachments

• 20211221_063535 (Medium).jpg
    20211221_063535 (Medium).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20211222_163358 (Medium).jpg
    20211222_163358 (Medium).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20211226_203437 (Medium).jpg
    20211226_203437 (Medium).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 55
Do you guys think PPLA or PLA+ will be good enough for what we use on boats or should I just go with PETG. I finally got PETG printing good.

If you are talking about parts that you WILL USE in your nitro boat.. then PETG is worth a go as well as ABS.. In a FE boat likely less of an issue.

I would not use PLA in anything but just static parts. (opinions may vary)

Grim

having said the above.. if you are going to be making RX mounts and all that.. I would use TPU.. you can get some FANTATIC parts from TPU and Polymaker is about the best..

Grim

I have used the same approach as Grim. For static parts and parts that see little to no stress; I use PLA. For functional parts I use PETG. PETG has a better chemical resistance than PLA. I also find that PETG has a better elasticity (maintain its original shape after being compressed or stretched). think of boom tube collars or mechanical clamping type parts.

TPU is more of a rubbery type of material that usually rates around the 90's on the durometer scale. Grim suggested TPU specifically for the RX mount because of it's isolation capabilities. My suggestion would be to make a tray like you've done out of a rigid type material (PLA, PETG, or ABS). Then make an "insert" out of TPU that would provide the isolation properties for the RX.

I have never printed in TPU.

Here are some examples of parts I have made. I try and only use printed parts in low stress areas.

I also find it VERY valuable for fixtures, drill jigs, etc...

One isn't the picture of the actual part, but an image of the CAD model. It was a vertical servo mount I did for a friend and it seems to be holding up so far.

boom collar.jpgboom tube holder.jpgboom tube sleeve.jpgdrill fixture.jpgnut plate.jpgSwitch.jpgmario3.JPG

3D printing is weird..
A few rules
Print taller then using the foot print of the bed if you can.. printing is much happier when you print up!
this is the best bed glue I have used (at least the cheap stuff)
Amazon.com: 3D Printer Glue Sticks PVP Solid Glue Sticks for 3D Printer Hot Bed Removing Printing Models(6 Pieces) : Industrial & Scientific

Ninja Flex TPU is not as easy to print as Polyflex.

Lighter colors area easer to tune that dark

Cura is a great slicer

If you can make the part "blocky" you will have a better part

Add or subtract about .010 to the size of a fit.. (Cura has a setting for this but its "not Great"

Add a raft anytime you can.. Yes it takes longer BUT.. it make for a MUCH more accurate part. (Yes.. even with TPU)

Grim

I printed with PETG last night and the part didn’t come out very clean. I need to try and make some adjustments to the print setup.

Back