So, what's in your lake?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 2 clubs here in the UK Trafford and sheffield one has cat fish and other general species in the other is known to have large pike in

Fresh from the lake, pics from Mario.

Jelly1.JPG Jelly2.JPG

I've seen them in the past, forgot about them since. Mario saw them last year, but no one believed him there were actually in the lake. Freshwater Jellyfish..

I left a two month old .67 mono at the bottom of the lake in New Iberia La. blew the deck open and tossed some of the flotation. Diver burnt up two tanks of air looking, but he would have to have been right on top of it..
The boat was black.
Bottom had long weeds growing up from the bottom.. and with partial flotation it could have floated far from where it sank.

The lone star model boat club lake in Houston is located within the Sikes Superfund cleanup site. That lake is very deep in some areas. Some of you that ran there may remember the incinerator that the EPA had on the backside of the lake burning dirt...

One of the guys in the club lost a brand new .90 boat he was testing with no flotation...
(no idea what he was thinking) but as fate would have it, he flipped it and it sank.

I think it was 48 hrs later he was out there with his friend, who was a police diver...they did a grid search and he brought it up from about 45 ft down. The diver said the water " changed" in the bottom 15 ft or so ..

When they brought the boat in we saw that it had changed the color of the gelcoat... the boat was yellow and now was a pale greenish/grey.

Whatever is in the bottom of the lake ( acids ? )
is strong enough to change the color of gelcoat. Oh, all of the aluminum and stainless had been tarnished too.
Nasty stuff in there...

https://semspub.epa.gov/src/document/06/983776
https://www.texasobserver.org/2608-...-of-harris-countys-11-best-toxic-attractions/

Last edited:

Here he is,

zK3JZqY.jpg

You have to click on watch on You tube don't don't where the setting is to make it play here.

Last edited:
My boating "lake" is a sub tropical salt water estuary that contains fish, sharks, stingrays, dolphins, dugong, sea turtles, crabs, crustaceans and mangroves.
Check out the contrast between low and high tide - you plan all boating activities based primarily on the tide chart.

100_1066.JPG100_1068.JPG

You are right.
That's the good news - if my boat sinks or stops I can easily walk out into the shallows and retrieve it. The bad news is if my boat sinks and I can't locate it before the tide starts to run out the tidal surge could carry it up through the straits over an ocean bar and out to the Pacific ocean ! :(
With the wind, tides and ocean currents in play it might then set a record for the longest distance an rc boat has travelled. :)

The Melbourne lake has a new R-42, a new stock mono, a $5000 euro Fe cat that stuffed at over 100 mph, Two drones, 1r/c aircraft , 1 approximately 5000 pound chuck of concrete about 12" subsurface, a 20 foot cabin cruiser, Multiple props, pipes & cowls. Most native fresh water fish, big moccasins, turtles and transient sometimes huge alligators. There was a huge about 24" alligator snapper turtle but he lost his head.

Latest posts

Back