Servo City Gearbox ratio choice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Does anyone know which ratio to choose on the Servo City website for the Servo City Gearbox, its for a gas tunnel, and the choices are 3.8-1 or 5-1

thanks in advance

Shane...
Looking at the web site...it looks like the servo selection needs to first be addressed...lots of options including up to 7:1 ratio....speed...or torque.....I would start with the servo selection....and its not like the engine need to turn a lot...It just need to turn with authority..I would choose torque over the speed...

Holy smoke...thats a monster torque servo...343oz @6.0 volts....analogue
Add the gearing and all...thats 1715 oz. Torque or 107lbs ...235 kilo......well I dont think steering will be an issue....being the ratio options are several...if it was me I would choose a middle of the road ratio....5:1 and be safe.

thanks for the pics Michael, looks like a better size, smaller and probably a little lighter in weight

Important is to run the external pot on the output shaft of gear box so it works like a normal servo should. Trying to use the gearboxes without this modification being done and you will not like how it steers. It must be done for proper centering and drive ability. The 805 is a antiquated power hungry servo. The higher end standard sized digitals are plenty.

I'm curious about the use of a gearbox for steering. As I think about it is it for smoother movement of the rudder as well as more torque?

Please fill me in on this as I think this could be very important when the boat is moving along at high speed.

Thanks,

Lee

How do you seal the radio box ? And with how much that pinion has to spin to turn it's got to be slow in turning . My gas tunnel turns faster then my 21 .

Back