Sealing Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

Has anybody sealed parts before assembly and gluing ? I was thinking about giving all flat parts a first coat of sealing before gluing together . I don't think you would want to seal anything that has to be formed before it is glued in , as pre sealing would stiffen it up making it harder to form . But transoms , bulkheads , engine rails and radiobox sides could get a first coat sealing before assembly . Thought it might be a good way to get a really good seal .

Last edited:
If parts aren't critical to the final assembly I wouldn't think there would be an issue. However things like the main hull or bulkheads should be built in a jig to be kept critically square and then sealed as soon as possible. Ralph from Road Runner boats told me that he didn't build hulls to sit around, he only builds them to order so they can be sealed as quickly as possible.

I have sealed some of the frames on Dumas kit builds prior to assembly due to the mahogany's wide grain. I added microballoons to lighten the epoxy so it wouldn't be as heavy and left the areas where parts would be glued together bare. I don't do this when building with birch ply since the grain is tighter and a thinner coat of epoxy will work just as well

I use West Systems 105 thinned with denatured alcohol to the constancy of water the thinned Epoxy penetrates much deeper into the wood and is not so difficult to sand to apply a finish coat I apply a heavy coat of the thinned mix and wipe off the excess with a lint free paper towels. After it cures scuff with a course Scotch-bright pad and then apply a finish coat of of non thinned 105

Last edited:
I use West Systems 105 thinned with denatured alcohol to the constancy of water the thinned Epoxy penetrates much deeper into the wood and is not so difficult to sand to apply a finish coat I apply a heavy coat of the thinned mix and wipe off the excess with a lint free paper towels. After it cures scuff with a course Scotch-bright pad and then apply a finish coat of of non thinned 195
That is what I was planning on doing as far as thinning .

That is 100% correct Mark on anything structural but for the propose of just protecting to non -structural wood surfaces, strength is not a consideration just stopping water infiltration into the wood and it's far less labor intensive to do 1 thinned coat followed by a non thinned final coat. REMEMBER THERE is more then 1 method to accomplish the same task

Tom, this is one topic where I've seen it go both ways. If thinning works for you, GREAT!!!! I just wanted to make sure that he also knew what the manufacturer had to say before jumping in with both feet. IF he still wants to thin the epoxy, it's his choice. I just wanted to make sure he had all the information to make it and informed one.
BTW, that's one of Scott's videos, isn't it? Gotta love the humor he puts into them

Yup good ole Scott Myers all his vids are informative and fun to watch. I have been build Rc boats since the 60/70's. Don Mock / Ron Erickson original taught me how and I enjoy watching Don's Vid it brought back some great memory's and also Scotts I always get a coupe of usefully hints. BTW my first RC race was at the man made pond at the Kingdom prior to that tether line boats a greenlake

Funny you would mention the Kingdome races. I worked security at the second(?) one, the one across the street from the Dome's parking lot. Was at the last one in Issaquah as well, when it was at what's now Home Depot's parking lot

Funny you would mention the Kingdome races. I worked security at the second(?) one, the one across the street from the Dome's parking lot. Was at the last one in Issaquah as well, when it was at what's now Home Depot's parking lot
My son, Paul, and I raced both of the Kingdome races and the one at Issaquah. Paul raced an Executone built by Dave Frank. That boat is now an 1/8 Scale Electric and owned by Lohring Miller.
JD

I remember a slightly miffed boat owner as well. Something about a damaged sponson from the driver trying to cut inside of someone and not making it IIRC. Also, IIRC, it was also when I met a certain "Frog", either at the Dome or in Issaquah. I was lucky I guess. Over a few years time, I met a Frog, a Czar, Ted Jones, several expert builders and some expert drivers. Doesn't get much better than that in my book, at least not until I got drafted to help restore the Slo-Mo-Shun V a few years later 😃

Latest posts

Back