Run in stand/dyno build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What made you decide to go this rout Terry?
The soft wear program was best suited to work with?
Looking for true HP#?

Here's a good (practical) article I found early on, kinda sold me on the inertia dyno idea:

http://performancetrends.com/tdkmotorsports/index.html
When Marty and Brian Calahan built their unit twenty years ago they were pioneers, nowadays with the internet and Performance Trends data acquisition units and software it's much easier to build a working unit.

Well, sorta. I'm lucky I have my toolmaker buddy Rudy to help with the fab, it wudda been tough without him. IIRC Marty and Brian had Norris Sparks to lean on. It looks simple but aligning a motor and shaft to tenths in all three axis' ain't so easy...

Last edited:
I made some 10-32 thermocouple fittings today, thanks to Mike for the idea and my Consigliere for the technique to make the tapered nuts.

full

full

Last edited:
I made thermocouple fittings today, thanks to Mike for the idea and my Consigliere for the technique to make the tapered nuts.

full

full
Well, those are about 100x better than my backyard engineering setup. I may have to buy some from you!

Let's hear the technique.

For the tapered nut?

Top secret. Patented, encrypted method developed by my Consigliere, Rudy.

Oh wait, he said it's OK to share, lol.

Run a full tapered tap (ie: not a plug or bottoming tap) part way into the nut, with a little playing around you can figure out how far to go so it starts and gets tighter as it goes on.

A+ for machine work? I'm lucky I get a lot of good help...

For the tapered nut?

Top secret. Patented, encrypted method developed by my Consigliere, Rudy.

Oh wait, he said it's OK to share, lol.

Run a full tapered tap (ie: not a plug or bottoming tap) part way into the nut, with a little playing around you can figure out how far to go so it starts and gets tighter as it goes on.

A+ for machine work? I'm lucky I get a lot of good help...

So, in other words.... the SWAG method..! :D

Terry, Take care with your automatic needle setting vs EGT. As soon as an engine starts detonating the EGT drops and your system may well lean it out more, and then BOOM.

Terry, Take care with your automatic needle setting vs EGT. As soon as an engine starts detonating the EGT drops and your system may well lean it out more, and then BOOM.

Yup, thanks. Charles mentioned this too, I didn't know (or I forgot) about this.

When I drove piston airplanes a long time ago we set the mixture with EGT, I can't remember if this happened on the Lycoming's and Continental's as well?

Imagine a system where your mixture was always perfect, all the way around the course or during a SAW run. No more sagging off in the corners, no more going lean at the end of the tank, no more cooking a motor if you got a speck of dirt in the needle or cut a cooling line.

You'd need some sort of throttle position input and logic so it would go to the peak then richen up a bit.

Hmmm....

Not much to look at.

Hard to start, clutch taking forever to lock up then slowwwww acceleration and pop. Wheel's way too big, wish someone coulda told me that. :D

Thought I broke the motor but it's fine, musta backfired or something and spit the collet.

Wheel got to 13K and was super smooth, eddy brake works good. EGT and CHT thermocouples all good.

Need a better camera angle...

Last edited:
Not much to look.

Hard to start, clutch taking forever to lock up then slowwwww acceleration and pop. Wheel's way too big, wish someone coulda told me that. :D

Thought I broke the motor but it's fine, musta backfired or something and spit the collet.

Wheel got to 13K and was super smooth, eddy brake works good. EGT and CHT thermocouples all good.

Need a better camera angle...

It looks great Terry and at least it's relatively easy to remove material from the wheel. I cant wait to see some runs once it fully dialed in.

Thanks, yur prolly right. Those are safety glasses at least.

Was thinking it'd be easier just to move the brake into position manually but decided it best to hang back near the door. :cool:

Last edited:
Back