Run in stand/dyno build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go Terry. Found you a bigger lathe. It is a 28" swing with 40" in the gap. I forgot the length but as you can see you should be able to do anything you need to. May have a hard time getting it in the basement. lathe.jpeg

There's lot's of info around on bearing fits but I found this from NTN pretty straight forward:

https://www.ntnglobal.com/en/products/catalog/pdf/2203E_a07.pdf
I went on the tight side of J6/7 for the housing and loose for the shaft. For my 6005's that meant a coupla tenths press for the housing and right on size for the shaft.

Just to be sure I checked the bearings and one of them had a bore two tenths over nominal! Tolerance for ABEC 3 is +0/-10 microns (4 tenths). Good thing I checked.

I wish the crank fits were this good from the manufacturers, my CMB's are usually a half thou or so loose causing them to slip and burn up at higher revs.

Thanks for this info - it's very helpful.

Also, I noticed the same with CMB bearing fits on cranks, it seems intentional and may well be beneficial in some way but really messes up the cranks.

See picture of a .21 CMB crank I replaced for this exact same reason. This is not something I have really had an issue with on Picco's, Novarossi's, Etc. CMB's seem to just run a looser fit.

IMG_6074.jpg

How much horsepower on something like that?
Think I read that it had a 40hp motor on it. Going to take a large VFD to run that one on single phase power in your basement. The price I saw was about $21,000 for the lathe. A VFD to run that on single phase would be around $10,000 to $15,000. And you would need a 150 to 200 amp supply to power something like this. I'm guessing that 200 amp service is what you have in your house.

Machines like that go for scrap prices. My 3600 pound lathe cost $2500 with beat up tooling. It's plenty accurate with a new chuck and centers for my work.

Lohring Miller

Think I read that it had a 40hp motor on it. Going to take a large VFD to run that one on single phase power in your basement. The price I saw was about $21,000 for the lathe. A VFD to run that on single phase would be around $10,000 to $15,000. And you would need a 150 to 200 amp supply to power something like this. I'm guessing that 200 amp service is what you have in your house.
Good golly miss molly that's a serious machine! I have a 12x36 2HP in my shop, I can't imagine running something with 20x more power.

Ok here is a machine that you can do you head buttons on. I re-did the controls on this machine a few years ago. It has a 150" table or chuck if you want to call it that. It is almost 40' tall. Hugh machine but did very good work. Good way to tell the size is to see the blue double 3' 0 doors in the left hand side of the picture.

IMG_0515.JPG

Just for you Ray. :D

full

Latest posts

Back