Run in stand/dyno build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Finally cleared my plate enough to start on this!

full

Terry,

Are you going to use a ducted fan set up for the engine load?
We are going with a custom inertial wheel set up. I can’t wait
to get started on hooking up the electronics. It is going to be nice to be able to test different items and see what the data
tells us.

The Performance Trends data logger is perfect for an inertial dyno. You may be interested in my article on the various versions used by racers from Marty Davis to the present. See namba.com/content/library/propwash/2019/april/16/

Lohring Miller

Mark: Going to make it dual purpose with interchangeable plates on the end with a Byron fan for break in and a 6" diameter x 3" wide 4340 wheel for dyno testing.

Lohring: Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. As you know I've been "harvesting" info for quite a while now from you, Dave Marles, Ken Retallick, Jim Allen, Mikey Ross, Brian Spitzer and Marty/Brian Callahan. I think I have a good plan. As you say, the Datamite Mini USB is supposed to be good for simple inertia dynos, I went with the hall sensors as I figured out how to get good data with them using the Eagle Tree. I also got the built in weather sensors to compensate for air density. http://performancetrends.com/dtm-hdwe.htm

I'll couple the engine to a steel shoe clutch from Dave Marles with a short piece of flex shaft and incorporate a one way bearing in the housing. Wide pillow blocks for 6002 bearings will hold oil drip reservoirs for lubrication and have a 15 mm Thompson shaft to connect the fan/wheel, I'll go with 6004's for the inertia wheel. Everything will get assembled, aligned and dowel pinned in place on the 3/4" MIC 6 tooling plate base.

For cooling I'll try one of these CPU pump/reservoir units and a dual fan radiator: https://www.thermaltake.com/pacific-pr2u.html Might even be able to control the water flow from the laptop for consistent temperature control.

Shud be interesting to see if ideas I have for mo' HP will work or not. ;)

Last edited:
Terry,
Since I became enthralled with this .28 outboard thing [for newbies with absolutely no RC boat experience] I have really been learning....
I am now thoroughly convinced that a slow patient break in process for our RC boat motors will pay big very big dividends.....
This is an area that I did kind of know was important but I don't think I ever really understood just how important a "patient , deliberate" break in is......
Your gathering of real time data acquisition will be very important....I do not know for sure but I suspect a lot of so called RC " boat motor speed secrets" will go right out the window....
Really do a good run in on a motor before you start really squeezing its nuts for max performance.....
Good luck,
Rod

Terry,
Since I became enthralled with this .28 outboard thing [for newbies with absolutely no RC boat experience] I have really been learning....
I am now thoroughly convinced that a slow patient break in process for our RC boat motors will pay big very big dividends.....
This is an area that I did kind of know was important but I don't think I ever really understood just how important a "patient , deliberate" break in is......
Your gathering of real time data acquisition will be very important....I do not know for sure but I suspect a lot of so called RC " boat motor speed secrets" will go right out the window....
Really do a good run in on a motor before you start really squeezing its nuts for max performance.....
Good luck,
Rod

Plus 1 !!!!!!

Terry,
Good luck,
Rod

Plus 2!!!

Here's a cool video of a .21 dyno in operation:

Last edited:
I can't find any of your pictures in your gallery. Your link doesn't work for me either.

Lohring Miller

Terry,
You need a bigger mill.

Wanted a Bridgeport in the basement but cutting a hole in the living room floor to get it in was definitely out. 😃

Seriously tho it's taken a fair bit of head scratching and several calls to my "Consiellere" to drill all the holes properly, everything gets aligned to the C/L and dowel pinned in place.

My new DRO is working great so far!

Wanted a Bridgeport in the basement but cutting a hole in the living room floor to get it in was definitely out. 😃

Seriously tho it's taken a fair bit of head scratching and several calls to my "Consiellere" to drill all the holes properly, everything gets aligned to the C/L and dowel pinned in place.

My new DRO is working great so far!

The smaller Clausings were built as an educational grade machine tool, both lathe and mill, built in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I got the chance to tour Atlas Press (the parent company of Clausing) many times while living in Kalamazoo. Great job restoring yours Terry.

In later years they partnered with Colchester to form Clausing Cochester, they built a full line of industrial lathes, I had three 16” x 6’ in my shop at Lakeshore High School in St. Clair Shores Michigan where I taught for twenty years.

Base/sub plates done. Won't miss working with this gauge plate, gummy chit.

Got some ground 6061 plates coming for pillow blocks next week, got held up from L.A. due to the bug. There's other stuff I can do in the meantime.

full

full

Back