Run in stand/dyno build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following along this project, very cool. but how did you cut the keyway in the inner bearing race?

Terry,

Spin the bejeezus out of a carbide end mill and give it lots of dry air to keep it cool.

You'd be surprised. 60Rc really isn't all that hard to a 90+Rc carbide end mill. ;)

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Let the next phase begin...

full

full

Very nice work Terry. Seeing you check concentricity of your blocks made me pull up this video of air bearings. Some very special motor dyno's use these for near frictionless torque reaction cradle measurements.

Very cool, I could slide my small sub plates over my surface plate with little effort showing how flat they were.

Here's a very talented Toolmaker that made a lathe/grinder with air bearings:

Terry are you using adjustable drip oilers to lube the bearings?

Yup. Going to mount them on the top of the pillow blocks off to the side to clear the pipe and run 1/16" holes to the back of the bearing pockets.

s-l1600.jpg

Very cool, I could slide my small sub plates over my surface plate with little effort showing how flat they were.

Here's a very talented Toolmaker that made a lathe/grinder with air bearings:

Yup. Going to mount them on the top of the pillow blocks off to the side to clear the pipe and run 1/16" holes to the back of the bearing pockets.

s-l1600.jpg

There you go, just what I was thinking. Next question will be what oil? I’d go for turbine oil, spindle oil or air tool oil all used in high rpm applications.
Thanks John

Terry, you have the world's cleanest shop. It reminds me of a tool maker I once worked with. He wore a clean white shirt to work every day. He did roll up his sleeves, but left at the end of the day with his shirt still clean. It's a sign of equally immaculate work.

Lohring Miller

Terry, you have the world's cleanest shop. It reminds me of a tool maker I once worked with. He wore a clean white shirt to work every day. He did roll up his sleeves, but left at the end of the day with his shirt still clean. It's a sign of equally immaculate work.

Lohring Miller

Thanks, it's a sickness actually. I've been in therapy for many years with little improvement, in fact I think it's getting worse the older I get. 😁

I'm trying to get this "right" for a couple reasons. One so it gives good, repeatable results and two so it doesn't vibrate apart at 30K. But looking at tenths as if they were thousands for the past couple weeks is getting old, glad that part is almost over...

Great job Terry. It shows you can work to tenths with manual tools. I have tested my dyno up to 40,000+ RPM. Rigidity & concentricity of any rotating part makes this possible.

Attachments

• 003_2013-07-17.jpg
    003_2013-07-17.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 96
  • dynamometer%20002.jpg
    dynamometer%20002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 96
  • dynamometer%20006.jpg
    dynamometer%20006.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 95
  • pict0995a.jpg
    pict0995a.jpg