Rudder set up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lewis

Supporting Member
Guys, what is the preferred set up for the rudder on riggers? I see port and starboard set ups. What kind of handling or performance gains can be had or is it just personal preference. Thanks Michael...

I've run on both sides and noticed little difference but I've always preferred it on the same side as the fin.
Just makes sense to me, and not much does lol

Sounds good, it's just odd to me that neither one has nothing to offer over the other. Appreciate the help. Michael
I'm sure someone will come on here and explain to physics as to why one is so much better than the other but for me I've never seen a big difference.

I can understand why some would run them like that especially in earlier years . Now servos and hardware are super strong so I'll go on the right . Appreciate it Brad just trying to learn something new each day lol.
Michael

I run the rudder on my sport and scale boats so that I can pull the rudder to turn right, the direction the boats are racing. I know, this is the rigger forum but it leads to the subject of my post. I remember reading a thread, many many moons ago, about something called the "12(?) degree rule". In theory, the boats were able to turn better or be more controllable in the turn if the rudder was placed at a point on the transom where it was at a certain number of degrees inboard of the turn fin. I don't know if that was just for sport and scale or if it applies to riggers as well. Maybe someone that remembers how that "rule" works can chime in.
One thing I do know is that many(if not all) of the full sized unlimiteds have their rudder assembly all the way out at the right airtrap and the fin as far left on the left sponson transom as possible. If it did work, the benefits apparently weren't that much to a 6500 lb boat doing 200 mph.

Last edited:
Thanks hydro junkie,this is why I posted. To try to learn more about it. Never heard of the 12 degree rule before. I would love to here more about it. Usually on my old sport hydros we ran the rudder opposite the turn fin. Appreciate it...
Michael

I have run Riggers, Sport hydros, and scale boats.
ALL of the rigger I have built/run, the rudders were always on the right side of the transon Starboard side.
I have had rudders on port & starboard side of sport & scale hydros and have had only one scale that didn't like the rudder on the STBD side.
Never really figured out what on this hull made it "picky" as to why?
But with a flat fin angled in it was on the STBD side. When I went to a curved fin, it lifted the turn fin side (STBD side) sponson in the turns.
Moved the rudder to the left (port) and all was good..
Physics, hull, dynamics??? who knows??
That's why you have test days at the pond... if it was an exact science, what fun would that be!!

I started putting the rudder on the port side for two reasons. First, as Mark said, I want to pull on the rudder to turn right. Second reason is that by putting the rudder on the left, I am hoping it will balance the drag from the turn fin thereby minimizing the left trim or strut offset to track straight

Thanks Kez and F.S.B. no test days at the lake and setting up your bot like everyone else wouldn't be to much fun at all. As far as pulling or pushing as long as the servo and connectors can handle it I'm okay with it.
Always loved having a run as free from drag as possible. Appreciate it guys
Michael

Guys, what is the preferred set up for the rudder on riggers? I see port and starboard set ups. What kind of handling or performance gains can be had or is it just personal preference. Thanks Michael...
Many times a designer can use one side or the other is to trim the boat.... left side rudder add. Drag to that side. And vice versa

Latest posts

Back