Rudder servo for large twin outriggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Hi guys,

with ref to a rudder servo on a large twin, is it better to use a powerful 30-40kg 1/4 size servo that will draw less current, or will a standard size servo that has the same 30-40KG power still be ok, I have an idea the smaller servos will probably work harder or if thats not the case, draw more current at least

any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm about to install servos in a couple of my larger 90-101 twins

Shane

I have been working with some new servos in my twin and my single F hydro. Mark Grim has a couple in the gas single and twin that he built. They are Promodeler servos. And the nice thing they are made here in the states down is Sanford FL. John Beech is the owner and a super nice guy. He makes servo for the government, RC trucks and very large scale aircraft. So we have been breaking him into the boats. He did stop by the Brandon race and visit a little brought me some more servos and watched the racing. It was very new to him but he like it. Like said I have them in two boats and are working to change all of my servos to these as I get to them. I even have them a pattern aircraft that I just finished. The one that Mark Grim is using is the DS630BLHV for his rudder. I am using the DS470BLHV on my rudders and I guess will use these as a standard in all of my boats. These servos are standard size. The throttle and mixture is the DS100DLHV. This servo is the same as the Futaba 3102 but has four instead of two mounting holes. The plane has the DS90DLHV. It is a standard servo. He only sells direct so that he can keeps pricing down. Go to his website and check them out. it takes a lot to turn my head on servos but these did. www.promodeler.com

Promodeler servos rock. I have DS470BLHV’s in several scale crawler trucks for steering. DS360DLHV for steering and DS100DLHV for throttle and mixture in several boats. 8.4 volt capable, and work great on 6 volts also.

I am going to throw something out there that might sound crazy but works well.
Move the lead edge of the rudder forward of the pivot point just a touch. It will take lots of stress off the rudder and servo.

Back