Retrieval craft.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the motor specs.....and what battery size..oh...and what steers that rig.
Thank you...I need one of these.
Has this been Maiden yet..

Last edited:
Motor is an outrunner 600kv, prop is 10" composite 3 blades, 3s battery and 50amp ESC. Haven't Maidenhead it yet, but it passed the bathtub test with flying colors.

Attachments

• 1583801868179635374363393842894.jpg
    1583801868179635374363393842894.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 81
Looks good. I saw something similar a little while back. I need to build myself something similar.

At our lake we're fortunate to have an actual rescue boat with an electric outboard, we can jump in then go and get them. Before that, we've got a cheap telescopic fishing rod with a float and small hook on the end. That also works surprisingly well!

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...runner-airplane/g46-5055-400kv-outrunner.html
Here is the motor I use for my similar prop pusher retrieve pontoon. I use 6S (2 3S in series) and props in the 12-13"diameter 2 blades by 4-6 pitch. I get .46 nitro power and low amps by using 6S, 40 amp cheap esc, Value Hobby has props and check out Life battery prices. They are in Addison Il.
Mic

Hi Mic,
Question regarding the 40a ESC on 6S. My understanding was 40a ESC had a max input of 3S, so by running 2 x 3S in series makes the input 6S, are you burning up ESC's?

Sounds like a lot of juice for a 40 amp, but since the motor is low kV and the prop low pitch, it might be ok...especially if you can supply the ESC with some water cooling.

Not all low amp esc's are limited to low voltage. Again the motor and props I recommended are working for me. I would always recommend overkill on an esc. Try 80 plus amps but I just had a low amp unit laying around so I tried it.
Mic

Finally got a chance to maiden this thing. Went very well. It's not very fast, but it is stable and suitable for its intended purpose.

For enyone planning to build one, I recommend using a good size rudder for better maneuverability around stranded boat.

Hello Vince...
By some slim chance...do you get any video..what I also like is that your style can be broken down to save space in a small vehicle for transportation...I do have a dumas large swamp buggy that I have thought about making electric just for this situation....but its BIG...

Last edited:
Hello Vince...
By some slim chance...do you get any video..what I also like is that your style can be broken down to save space in a small vehicle for transportation...I do have a dumas large swamp buggy that I have thought about making electric just for this situation....but its BIG...

Hey, Robert, I snuck out this afternoon to the pond (in chilly temps) just to see how this craft behaves in the water. I was pleased with what I saw...I might install a slightly larger rudder though. Unfortunately I couldn't get anyone to come out with me to take a video of an actual rescue, but I will soon though.

Oh, and the way I built this, it is not meant to be taken apart for transport, however it's not very big...33" long, 16"wide and 12" tall.
If you decide to build this, I can provide you the exact parts dimensions I used, and a few more pics of my set up.

Vince

Thank you Vince...
Just the basic pics that are posted are fine....i have enough pvc to build many so I need to get rid of some of this if you know what I mean....boo boos are allowed....thank you though for the reply and I fully understand about the one person thing.....all good..hey...maybe a new class of racing can be started...boat retrieval class...bring a lawn chair and enjoy....haha..

Okay, kids...the temperature up here in Ontario, Canada rose to a balmy 7 degrees Celsius today, so I took my new rescue craft to the lake to test out a real rescue mission. I send out an 8lb deep v out in the water and then tried to push it back to me.

It did NOT go well. Lol

No problem zeroing in on it and pushing it around, but unfortunately at very low speed the water rudder became virtually ineffective. So scrap the water rudder, and back to drawing board. First I will try twin air rudders, and if that fails, I will mount the motor on a swivel base and use the old push/pull control.

My apologies to any one who might have build one following my directions. 🤓

Vince,

In our club, a couple of the guys built something similar, but they used submerged props, independently driven, one on either side, and it was steered like a tank. It worked VERY well.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Hey Vince...
Its all good...we get to learn together....I do like the twin prop suggestion from Brad...but the single air prop on a swivel is less electronics...keep on trying...

I am building a Rocket 26 mono for rescue. I removed the inboard, rudder, etc, and am converting to outboard for better steering. As I progress I will post more but don't build one until I see how it works.

Back