Results: NAMBA West Coast Time Trials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chris for the daily updates. The arm chair boaters appreciate it. Must still be great weather since they are able to set 3.5cc records. That huge sucking sound I hear must be the Northwest sucking in all the bad weather from the rest of the West Coast. Rudy
You got that right, Rudy!!! We just set a new record for rainfall for November and the month is only half over. High winds, flooding, but at least not the terrible loss of life like what happened in the southern area of the country with the tornados.

JD

An "Atta Boys" to District "8ers" Mike Bontoft, Lohring Miller, and Dick Crowe for their record setting efforts.

I took a few videos from Wednesday at the Time Trials. Sorry I could not get videos from Thursday.

Wait till you get ALL of the results from Chris. They are outstanding. This was the first time I have ever attending a Time Trials event. They are much different than attending a race...........however still really enjoyable. It gives me more time to talk to people and Kim Grim is the best at lunches.

Here is a shortcut link to the videos.......................

http://www.namba19.com/photos/videos/videos.html

Thanks, Al Waters

Very nice videos

I am jealous at the guys walking in T-shirt and the condition of the lake....

Minor detail: no tunnelboats.. :(

Ronald.

great speeds there especially those .21's i am sure they put lots of effort into those engines, hulls and props all together

is this now the first official record over 100mph for a .21? as i believe previous records were at 99?

are there any pics of the nitro and gas contenders out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice videos

I am jealous at the guys walking in T-shirt and the condition of the lake....

Minor detail: no tunnelboats.. :(

Ronald.
It's been quite some time since there was somebody other than Jimmy or me running a tunnel boat at the NAMBA SAW. Now that I'm on the other coast Jimmy has the carry the whole banner and I'd have to say that he's done a great job. There's not a NAMBA SAW tunnel record that he or he and I under Seismic Amigos don't have.

There will be an updated record from Thursday. It's my understanding that Joerg went in the high 120's with his T Hydro. Unfortunately I had to turn in earlier than normal last night so I was not able to hook up with the guys and get the info. I also heard Mark Grim had a 126+ pass with his X Hydro. I'm traveling today but will get this info and today's results posted as soon as I can.

Here is a shortcut link to the videos.......................

http://www.namba19.com/photos/videos/videos.html

Thanks, Al Waters

AL, the videos are an unexpected treat, fun to watch, Thanks for the early Christmas present! Hope JD doesn't hog all the rain so Nor Cal can have some water for the 07 Nats. If all that rain would have come south, we'd be looking like New Orleans was! Rudy

I had to leave after Tuesday's SAW trials but I just got news that the JAG's Team bumped the record to 140.9 mph today on the 2 way pass and had one pass over 141mph! I spoke to Joerg yesterday before his 130mph run and he told me that they were just doing a shakedown run yesterday evening. That was some shakedown pass! ;)

Today is the last day of straightline and Joerg had better cells and a hotter motor today! Unfortunately, the boat tripped after the second pass and is done for the day. Joerg set the bar very high now! Congrats to the JAG's Team!!! He told me that there is still more left in that boat!!! :blink:

jagsthydrosmnh1.jpg

JAG's 32 cell "T" Hydro from Germany. Team leader Joerg Mrkwitschka is the fastest model boater in the world and has held that distinction since 2003.

The record may have been done by an electric, but this is good for all model boating! I sure hope someone got video of the run!

Day 6 Results:

Person: Mark Grim

Class: A Hydro

Record: Straightline

Time: 2.126

Speed: 105.832

Prior Record Time: 2.32

Prior Record Speed: 97.02

Person: Joerg Mrkwitschka

Class: T Hydro

Time: 1.748

Speed: 128.718

Prior Record Time: 1.82

Prior Record Speed: 123.49

Day 7 Results:

Person: Joerg Mrkwitschka

Class: T Hydro

Time: 1.603

Speed: 140.36

Prior Record Time: 1.748 (set prior day)

Prior Record Speed: 128.718

Person: Chris Grim

Class: C Hydro

Time: 1.81

Speed: 124.3

Prior Record Time: 1.85

Prior Record Speed: 121.62

Person: Mark Grim

Class: A Hydro

Time: 2.118

Speed: 106.232

Prior Record Time: 2.126 (set prior day)

Prior Record Speed: 105.832

Person: Gunnar Hold

Class: N-2 Hydro

Time: 2.416

Speed: 93.129

Prior Record Time: 2.93

Prior Record Speed: 76.87

Joerg's passes were 139 and 141 mph.

Chris Grim had a one way pass of 127 mph with the C (.67) Hydro.

Chris,

If you get a chance, can you post the electric O hydro record set by Arne Hold and P Hydro record set by Matthias Boese?

Chris,

If you get a chance, can you post the electric O hydro record set by Arne Hold and P Hydro record set by Matthias Boese?
I have not received those yet. I actually got the other info earlier in the day. I'll call the guys for the other records.

I have not received those yet. I actually got the other info earlier in the day. I'll call the guys for the other records.
Thanks, Chris! I know they broke the records, but I don't know their times. Please give Chris Grim my congrats on his 124.3mph C Hydro record, that hauling the mail!

here's a pic of Arne Hold with his 100mph+ 8 cell boat when he broke the record early in the week.

arneholdohydrosmmn0.jpg

Chris,

Last night I was told that Matthias' pass was one way and that the P Hydro record was not set.

Day 8 Results:

Person: Seismic Racing

Class: B OPC Tunnel

Record: Two Lap Oval

Time: 28.639

Prior Record Time: 28.75

Person: Kim Grim

Class: Sport 60

Time: 24.378

Prior Record Time: 24.70

Wow! It looks like it's been a pretty successful week in CA! Good job guys on your first full week time trial.

I noticed that you are now running two laps. Wondering if Shark (Rey Garcia) really showed up? (http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=17038&hl=) Did anybody come from District 9?

I was out at the District 19 shootout, which is a pretty cool idea. Now, Shark said it was just me thinking that some of the B Mod Tunnels are just as fast as some of those B Hydros is a straight line. They had their practice going and I saw Cris Grim with a B Mod Tunnel running with Garcia side by side and Garcia wasn't able to pull away. It's not like Shark could say that "I was running rich" or anything. The boat sounded and looked fine. I'd have to say that those boys have some pretty awesome tunnels (check out all those straightline and two lap records) so that may have something to do with it.

I would also like to note that Mike Bontoft upped his GX2 Hydro record to 103.6 mph two way. He won the trophy for the greatest increase (20 mph) over the old record. Jorg was second with a 17 mph increase over his old record. It was the best event yet thanks to Mark Grim and the other Seismic Amigos.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
I want to say thanks to all the racers and host of this years L.A. SAWs. It was a killer event and I expected nothing less. Hanging around for the mixed Nitro/Gas/F.E. portion of the event was very enlightning. A lot was there to witness and be learned throughout the entire event and there was never a dull moment. Even with the wind blowing the entertainment never stopped with Chris Grim and Arne Hold going for the new rescue boat record, Arne got the record proving that us F.E. racers can also run gas. It was amazing to witness the amount of power we have at our disposal. I saw riggers almost pulling wheelies, many boats spinning out from so much power, broken parts and plenty of carnage. The nitro and gas guys said they wish they had all the problems we were having due to horsepower. It was great to say the least.

A special thanks to electrics own Mark F. for taking the time to put things together to make it all possible for us. An a special thanks to the Amigos and the Grim family for all their hard work. Kim your lunches were killer. I also would like to thank the Gas/Nitro guys for their considerations to our special needs as F.E. racers. And certainly thanks to the new guys that came to race with use and just to hang out. Your presence is always welcome and desired. :D

It was nice meeting so many new people, many of whom I have only read about, legends if you will. Thanks for letting me be part of it all.

Tim

Well I just got home from the last day of the best week of time trials I have ever been to, & I am pooped.

I know Mark,Kim&Cris Grim and all the amigos are just as tuckered out as I am, but we know that most if not all who were there had a great time.

I want to give the Grim family a very special thank you for all long & hard hours that it took to make this week such a success. AGAIN THANK YOU ALL :)

Don

PS Todays times will be posted as soon as some "rest"is recored ;) & congratulations to all the new record holders :)

Well I just got home from the last day of the best week of time trials I have ever been to, & I am pooped.

I know Mark,Kim&Cris Grim and all the amigos are just as tuckered out as I am, but we know that most if not all who were there had a great time.

I want to give the Grim family a very special thank you for all long & hard hours that it took to make this week such a success. AGAIN THANK YOU ALL :)

Don

PS Todays times will be posted as soon as some "rest"is recored ;) & congratulations to all the new record holders :)
Congratulations guys... those speeds are awesome... Can't hate on that. Looks like you guys put a really good event too... You guys stepped your game up all the way around. That's good for the hobby all the way around. You even let Kim get down with the get down. That's cool too. We can't let the fellas have all the fun.

Looks like you guys will be good and ready for the nats as far as horsepower is concerned. I guess us guys up here in the north will have our work cut out for us this winter if we expect to be competitive come next spring.

I wish I could have made it. Maybe next year.

Updated Day 6 Results:

Person: Mike Bontoff

Class: GX-2

Time: 2.171

Speed: 103.6

Prior Record Time: 2.264 (set two days before)

Prior Record Speed: 99.37

Day 9 Results

Person: Seismic Racing

Class: A OPC Tunnel

Time: 29.26

Prior Record Time: 32.42

Person: Don Maher

Class: Sport 60

Time: 23.629

Prior Record Time: 24.378 (set prior day)

Back