resto mod old school rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john bass

just finished this old school rigger it is a Don Pinkert design...called the Yellowjacket came with a new old school OPS 60 ...I am using a nova rossi 91...should be fun...this boat is quite old if anyone remembers it please chime in...thanks

Pics for John

Attachments

• 9AF39921-CF28-43D9-BE01-5B114762C810.jpeg
    9AF39921-CF28-43D9-BE01-5B114762C810.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 109BC7D1-F21B-44F0-86A9-E1EE96B2D1E1.jpeg
    109BC7D1-F21B-44F0-86A9-E1EE96B2D1E1.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 133
  • B0DD190B-2D57-41E7-9F0D-6B31002D5A7F.jpeg
    B0DD190B-2D57-41E7-9F0D-6B31002D5A7F.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 138
just finished this old school rigger it is a Don Pinkert design...caleld the Yellowjacket came with a new old school OPS 60 ...I am using a nova rossi 91...should be fun...this boat is quit old if anyone remembers it please chime in...thanks
I'm so happy to see how well it came out. You planning on using the old running hardware or going all new?

will post photos of hardware soon...using an Andy Brown strut and rudder....if looks could kill this would be one bad ass...the nova rossi looks like it came in there...cant wait to try it this weekend

Hey Danny king do you have the turn fin can you send me a picture I have a yellowjacket also taking the picco 80 out and putting 30cc gasotor and the turn fin got lost

Very cool.... back in the 80's another club member (Scott Jhorde) and I ran
.60 riggers with yellow and black paint jobs...
We had that same Bee logo on our boats..

We pitted together, raced against each other, fixed our boats together....
We were known as the killer bee's...

I'll post up a pic of my rigger....still have it.

Last edited:
That boat was known as the Yellowjacket...

Back in the mid 80's they were forcing the popular Aeromarine cats to run against the riggers.
The Yellowjacket qualified as a cat and could give the rigger hydros fits in rougher race water.
A lot of development went into the 'Hooker' sponsons design.
After the sponsons were finalized and holding the water correctly, the problem became the tub....those long sponsons put too much leverage on the booms and torqued on the tub far too much and changed the sponsons geometry, dynamically, and much unpredictability occurred -ie- pulling severely in either direction, stuffing, spinning out, and even flipping.
Back around 1990, we were in process of molding a kevlar tub for increased torsional rigidity, increasing torque box effect, etc., but things were getting hectic at GM Tech Center and we had to refrain from the 'government' projects for a while.
Got out of rc boats shortly thereafter, and stuck to professional slot car racing.
Can't remember what became of the development boat, but Don did a helluva job on the finalized molds for the Hooker sponson's bottom 'hulls'.

IMO, the Yellowjacket had a lot of potential.

Last edited:
That boat was known as the Yellowjacket...

Back in the mid 80's they were forcing the popular Aeromarine cats to run against the riggers.
The Yellowjacket qualified as a cat and could give the rigger hydros fits in rougher race water.
A lot of development went into the 'Hooker' sponsons design.
After the sponsons were finalized and holding the water correctly, the problem became the tub....those long sponsons put too much leverage on the booms and torqued on the tub far too much and changed the sponsons geometry, dynamically, and much unpredictability occurred -ie- pulling severely in either direction, stuffing, spinning out, and even flipping.
Back around 1990, we were in process of molding a kevlar tub for increased torsional rigidity, increasing torque box effect, etc., but things were getting hectic at GM Tech Center and we had to refrain from the 'government' projects for a while.
Got out of rc boats shortly thereafter, and stuck to professional slot car racing.
Can't remember what became of the development boat, but Don did a helluva job on the finalized molds for the Hooker sponson's bottom 'hulls'.

IMO, the Yellowjacket had a lot of potential.
I grew up running Dons boats. My dad ran Gators back in the day. When cats started winning races it was simply because they held the water and they were racing outriggers that were poorly designed and out of date. Todays riggers are so much more stable and turn better than back then. Jeff Lutz

John bass do you still have the yellowjacket? Or do you have a picture of the turn fin I have one and going to put in a 3cc gas motor having proper turn fin is important

I grew up running Dons boats. My dad ran Gators back in the day. When cats started winning races it was simply because they held the water and they were racing outriggers that were poorly designed and out of date. Todays riggers are so much more stable and turn better than back then. Jeff Lutz
We started out with Hughey, and didn't get involved with Pinckert's boats until the first Coyote's came out....they were fast on calmer water, but a challenge in heat race conditions. I don't remember the era's, but the Greg Hughey Crapshooter's were a better heat race boat in rougher water...1983-4ish?....
Up here in the North, the cats only stood a chance in rougher water vs outriggers, in fact they did turn better and were less prone to blowing off the water, but would occasionally barrel roll.

We distinctly remember all our conversations with Don regarding the Yellowjacket and its intent on running like a cat in rougher heat race conditions. Up here and out East the cat's were required to run with the riggers.

So, you being from that neck of the woods, you know the history between Don and Caudill, Coyote vs Roadrunner then.

Jeff, please check your messages...we've a question on another matter.

Thanks.

John bass do you still have the yellowjacket? Or do you have a picture of the turn fin I have one and going to put in a 3cc gas motor having proper turn fin is important
i have a question and i apologize for putting this here but didnt think it was deserving of its on thread. i have a brand new marine ops in a jae 12gt rigger, and it starts up right away but still needs to go thru the break in period. it will stall everytime and it will sink except for the tip the sponssons, because of the pipe and how shallow th tub walls are... i was going to run a tank full off gas and hold it in a kitty pool to break it in , making sure the motormis getting cooling flow of course, i used to brerak old rc planes motors in on the bench decades ago, but figure i little kitty pull or tupperware full of water will work. any suggestions > thanks

Attachments

• jae 26fe and 12gt.jpg
    jae 26fe and 12gt.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3 outriggers.jpg
    3 outriggers.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0
  • jae 12gt.jpg
    jae 12gt.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
Back