Resin for carbon tuned pipe?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting close to 900F on the dyno, haven't quite seen that yet in the boat but getting close. And that's 3" from the piston...

full
Terry put a lazer temp gun on the pipe and see what it is.

Wow....that tube he rolled up took 1500 lbs of pressure to fracture it.. pretty strong stuff...

I guess the heat that our little motors can produce is going to always be the limiting factor in carbon pipes. Resin's just aren't there yet.. well, affordable ones ..

Wow....that tube he rolled up took 1500 lbs of pressure to fracture it.. pretty strong stuff...

I guess the heat that our little motors can produce is going to always be the limiting factor in carbon pipes. Resin's just aren't there yet.. well, affordable ones ..

Believe it’s predominantly the states that are limited. The carbon pipes from Australia work flawless, the resin just isn’t available over here. Stricter regulations.
Something like Dave is doing is a great answer. Most of the extreme heat dissipates (according to the thermal gun) past the inlet portion of the pipe

Well the Cotronics 4460 dose not set up at room temp it needs 4hr at 250deg to cure.
The machinable wax melts before 250Deg.
So this resin will not work with a wax mold.

You might try to leave it a few days or more at maybe 150F or so, betcha it'll set up enough to hold it's shape for post cure.

The bagging epoxy I use needs 24hrs at room temp for it's initial set.

I talked with Cotronics about what I was trying to do with the resin and thy suggested some thing different altogether.
I will try there 989F adhesive.
It is a aluminum based Nano fine grain adhesive that can be made any viscosity you want with there 989T thinner.
It can handle 3000F all day.
It bonds to any thing.
The heat shrink on the out side will be the mechanical force to squeeze it all together.
If this works thy sky is the limit to what a CF pipe can be made for.
So basically you will have a aluminum ceramic CF reinforced pipe.
GAS ENG any one???????
http://www.cotronics.com/WEB SHEETS/989 resistor NP.pdf

I talked with Cotronics about what I was trying to do with the resin and thy suggested some thing different altogether.
I will try there 989F adhesive.
It is a aluminum based Nano fine grain adhesive that can be made any viscosity you want with there 989T thinner.
It can handle 3000F all day.
It bonds to any thing.
The heat shrink on the out side will be the mechanical force to squeeze it all together.
If this works thy sky is the limit to what a CF pipe can be made for.
So basically you will have a aluminum ceramic CF reinforced pipe.
GAS ENG any one???????
http://www.cotronics.com/WEB SHEETS/989 resistor NP.pdf

Very cool! What the pricing range for that adhesive?
Does this dry clear like a typical resin or does it retain that white color? The 650 degree limit was a big question mark for me after doing some testing on other carbon pipes in our 7.5’s and burning the inlets with comparable heat limits. Won’t even need the aluminum sleeve now with that range

Very cool! What the pricing range for that adhesive?
Does this dry clear like a typical resin or does it retain that white color? The 650 degree limit was a big question mark for me after doing some testing on other carbon pipes in our 7.5’s and burning the inlets with comparable heat limits. Won’t even need the aluminum sleeve now with that range
I have to call back and talk to sales about the price. Had to get back to work....LOL
But it comes in pints not QT so it should be less coast.
Pretty sure it is white.

Fireplace sealant 🤯🤯
YUP!!!!!!!!!
Amazing what a out side are little box mind can do.
He has no preconceived notions regurgitated 100 times over.
Just wide open Virgin mind to look at ALL the options.
This just popped up on my Face Book feed.
I swear thy are listening to me threw my mike and looking at my surfing history. :eek:
The stuff I am getting will act the same in the build up just coast 10 times the amount.
O and it is good to 3000F not a measly 2732F......................LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back