Repairing Dented Pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Get a piece of wood dowel. One just a little bit bigger than the inner diameter of the stinger end of the pipe, You should make it about 4" long so it will be easy to work with. Sand one end of the dowel to a point like a pencil. Work the dowel into the stinger end of the pipe so it is nice and tight and can't easily fall out. take electricians tape and wrap it good and tight so there is a good seal around the pipe and the dowel. Fill the pipe up with water. Stand the pipe up with the manifold end up in a plastic cup then put it in your freezer. When the water becomes ice, it expands and pushes out the dents. It works very well with Macs aluminum pipes. Never tried it on other metals, but I don' t see why it would work. Sometimes it works perfect, but sometimes you can still see where the dent was. Especially if there was a crease. It is a lot better than throwing a good pipe away, though. This method probably wouldn't work with pipes that have an inner muffling baffle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a piece of wood dowel. One just a little bit bigger than the inner diameter of the stinger end of the pipe, You should make it about 4" long so it will be easy to work with. Sand one end of the dowel to a point like a pencil. Work the dowel into the stinger end of the pipe so it is nice and tight and can't easily fall out. take electricians tape and wrap it good and tight so there is a good seal around the pipe and the dowel. Fill the pipe up with water. Stand the pipe up with the manifold end up in a plastic cup then put it in your freezer. When the water becomes ice, it expands and pushes out the dents. It works very well with Macs aluminum pipes. Never tried it on other metals, but I don' t see why it would work. Sometimes it works perfect, but sometimes you can still see where the dent was. Especially if there was a crease. It is a lot better than throwing a good pipe away, though. This method probably wouldn't work with pipes that have an inner muffling baffle.
heard another trick.. plug one end of the pipe and the pressure fitting and pour water in the tune pipe and place it in the freezer.. water will freeze and exspand=pop out the dent.

thats what he said. It should be noted...that you should watch over the pipe. More then once a pipe has been filled to push a dent out, and expanded too much and split the entire pipe open.

I did this with a 3280, and it turned it into an oval :blink: pipe is no longer round, but now ob-longed.

I have used a ball bearing to get dents out as well. Place bearing in pipe and slap into palm of otherhand with dent side down and repeat as needed. larger bearings make the job go faster.

heard another trick.. plug one end of the pipe and the pressure fitting and pour water in the tune pipe and place it in the freezer.. water will freeze and exspand=pop out the dent.
While freezing the pipe to remove dents sound good in theory, it does not work very good in practice. The reason being that the freezing water expands the pipe all over in every direction, not just the dented area, changing the total volume of the pipe, which is very critical to the pipes performance.

Just my 5 cents worth.

While freezing the pipe to remove dents sound good in theory, it does not work very good in practice. The reason being that the freezing water expands the pipe all over in every direction, not just the dented area, changing the total volume of the pipe, which is very critical to the pipes performance.

Just my 5 cents worth.

Yes,,, and no in theory-----and in practice!!!!!

I have removed dents in this manner, and the pipe's diameter & volume have not changed, and dent has been removed to near perfection.

I have also split pipes, where they were creased, and the dent hadn't been completely pushed out yet.

And I have also "changed" the diameter, volume, and overall shape of a particular pipe, an AB 67 muffled pipe, and made it a better performing pipe in my MONO,,, and this was all by accident, while trying to remove a dent.

Freezing water will remove the dent. But, not always correctly.

It is a cheap and easy method to try before throwing the pipe into the recycle bin.

Al Hobbs

I have only don't it three or four times. After reading all your replies, I will add, I DO check the progress often to make sure it isn't getting over expanded. Leaving the manifold end open also allows for relief. And as far as the pressure fitting, I take it out and put a wood screw in the hole and tape over it with electricians tape. As a disclaimer in the first post, I said, It may not work perfect everytime, but it is an option over throwing a pipe away.

Another way is.. If you got a tig welder or sombody you know that has one.. Cut the pipe at the fat spot pop out the dents then have the pipe tigwelded back together..

Latest posts

Back