Removing graphics from trailer?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
So anyone got any hot tips for getting weathered vinyl graphics off the exterior of a trailer without resorting to razor type scrapers? Got graphics that have been on trailer for a while that need to come off and they are breaking off in dime size pieces when trying to peel them. šŸ˜³

I would have to agree with Wally, try the heat gun. It will soften up the adhesive and make it easier to peel the graphics off. Follow that with "Goof Off" to remove any remaining adhesive and that should take care of your trailer. One thing you might find is that, depending on the trailer's finish, the outline of the graphics may show if the finish has faded at all.

Have you used this? Seems to be designed for removing pinstripes, I got a ton of schitt to take off. :rolleyes:
Yes Don I have used this several times to remove decals off the bed-sides of vehicles. 4x4 decals and such. works when the decals have been on a long time and the adhesive is dry making the heat gun method nearly impossible.

I done it all best is a steam cleaner pressure washer followed by decal remover I work at a rental equipment always dealing with decals

If you don't have a heat gun or are afraid of the excess heat you can use a hair dryer as well which may help. Also WD 40 and Goo gone will help with any residue that's left behind.

What Mikey said...but there is an optimum RPM range. I have taken 24" block letters off the side of motorcoaches with these.
Hey Ron, thanks for the input, what might that optimum RPM range be? I have large graphics that have been on trailer for over 10 years that are shot and need to be removed. They are not typical single color vinyl but rather printed multi color with clear protective overlay and so far have been a nightmare to try to remove.

Its just trial and error. Once you start you will discover the sweet spot. I always used pneumatic tools. Your mileage will vary using battery or electric power.
As the disc wears the rpm increases due to the smaller diameter.
Get a spray bottle with some mineral spirits for initial clean up as you go and some good lacquer thinner for final cleanup. Your panels should be baked paint so the thinner should not hurt the finish.

Don, when I had my tool truck I sold a bunch of the eraser wheels. One of my stops did commercial raps and I had some large decals that needed to replaced, the guy walked up to my 150,000.00 + new truck with a freaking blow torch. He rand it over the decals fast a couple times and peeled them all off in one big piece. So donā€™t be scared to use a little heat, it works also. WD40 is awesome at getting glue residue off. 3m make a product that you spray on and it takes the vinyl off great but doesnā€™t get all the glue off. Use the WD40 at that point to get the glue off.
You may have to try a combination of all of the above to get everything off.

Latest posts

Back