removing a stuck bearing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Lauer

Supporting Member
I am cleaning and checking the bearings on one of my motors but the large bearing is stuck on the crank. the bearing is real tight to the crank counterbalance. how can I remove it without damaging it?

I have remove the retainer and all the balls. Take off the outer race. Then I made a notched piece of steel the size of the grove of the inner race. Slide the bearing into that and tap out the crank.

I am cleaning and checking the bearings on one of my motors but the large bearing is stuck on the crank. the bearing is real tight to the crank counterbalance. how can I remove it without damaging it?

Would this happen to be a K&B engine?
When I used to run K&B 45's this was a common problem on the large bearing.
A smaller version of this https://www.sterndrive.cc/product/m...t=89-101-14 | Universal Puller Plate | $79.99 is how I used to get them removed.
I still have the puller in one my drawers if you would like to borrow it.

I wouldn't worry about damage to the bearing. If you need to remove it it's low cost insurance to replace it.

Lohring Miller

And depending on the engine design when you get the new bearing, spin the crank in a drill at moderate speed (or lathe), and micro-polish the crank surface where the bearing rides, with varying grades of very fine wet/dry paper (lubed with WD40). The paper will be anywhere from 600 to 2000 grit, cut into long strips just the width of the bearing. Finish it off with wet 2000 just to the point of the new bearing sliding on at ambient temps. Use the finest grit that gets the job done.

And depending on the engine design when you get the new bearing, spin the crank in a drill at moderate speed (or lathe), and micro-polish the crank surface where the bearing rides, with varying grades of very fine wet/dry paper (lubed with WD40). The paper will be anywhere from 600 to 2000 grit, cut into long strips just the width of the bearing. Finish it off with wet 2000 just to the point of the new bearing sliding on at ambient temps. Use the finest grit that gets the job done.

exactly what I did with the K&B's back then

I got the bearing off, thank you for the help. the reason I wanted to save them was the guy I bought it from said he put ceramic bearings in it. He lied, can you imagine that. I liked the idea of polishing the bearing area. thanks again.

Back