Rear Ski Width... Gas Outrigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeters

Supporting Member
People that are using a rear ski under their gas outrigger tub.What is the width of the running surface of your rear ski? How wide would you make ski to be effective? Wanting to do some testing on a good handling boat that has a problem pulling the right prop unless runs over chop or a hard turn usually gets the party started. Im thinking maybe a rear ski would be worth trying. oh, it is a inline twin gas outrigger.

Attachments

• SUNP0211.JPG
    SUNP0211.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • SUNP0210.JPG
    SUNP0210.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
What prop are you running? How much tail weigh is on the prop? I would guess that your problem may be a combination of these two things!

None of my gas heat racing riggers have a ski or rear sponsons, hence my comment about prop weight!
Several versions of the Andy Brown Eagle had both ski and sponsons on the rear! To the best of my knowledge the newest versions do not have a ski, rear sponsons only. You may want to check with Andy to get his ideas on your question!

None of my gas heat racing riggers have a ski or rear sponsons, hence my comment about prop weight!
Several versions of the Andy Brown Eagle had both ski and sponsons on the rear! To the best of my knowledge the newest versions do not have a ski, rear sponsons only. You may want to check with Andy to get his ideas on your question!
The JAE 90-101 boat ski width was 1 1/4" you could contact Joe at Zipp and ask what the gas boat is.

Brad
THANKS Brad and Don. Im going to move some weight forward and try again this weekend. The jae 101s 1 1/4 width rear ski would be a good starting point.The gas sgx rear shoe was tapered but about a 1" wide at the running surface.
jaes are 16" long and i was thinking of making mine a little longer to help raise tub due to the added weight of the inline motor. Hopefully i wont be adding one,im liking Dons idea of not needing one if the setup is right! JOE

OK, i moved the batteries forward,steering servo forward, installed foam in the bait box so it wont hold water, i moved the pipes 1" shorter. When boat was having problems getting on the pipe i lengthened the pipes. Doing this(lengthening pipes) i also moved more weight to the rear of boat.(two pipes). I lowered the strut so i had 1/16 gap under the rear sponsons and removed prob. 1 deg. of angle,strut now flat.I must have raised the strut trying to make the big wheel work and made matters worse like the pipe adjust.Ran last night boat launches and gets on the pipe as it should.
Don, Thanks for setting me straight.

Latest posts

Back