Racing Tunnels on Windy Waters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
Greetings,

Possibly the greatest frustration in racing tunnel boats is having to contend with rough water conditions. :( This is especially true with the smaller 3.5 size tunnels.

This past weekend I tried something I should have done years ago. I installed a 3.5 size OB(O.S. Max 21) on a 7.5 size hull(JD WOF 7.5-32" in length). We had a District 8 points race and the wind blew hard both days. > :( I was accused of driving a barge, but my barge managed to finish some heats and I ended up winning first in 3.5 stock and 3.5 mod :D .

I'd much rather have raced my Villain S1/K&B 3.5ss in 3.5 Stock and my HTB 290/CMB LS in 3.5 Mod. But, I knew those boats would not be able to bash through the waves. It was surviving, not racing, but I ended up taking some points home. So, if you have a spare 7.5 hull you might want to consider bolting a 3.5 motor to the transom for those race days when, "Bigger is Better." A couple of suggestions: 1. have at least 8 oz. of fuel, 2. install a hot plug(McKoy 59) because the motor is probably going to be running half throttle or less.

Jerry D.

suggestion no.3, use a carb with a bottom end mixture adjustment.

Latest posts

Back