Questions JAE twin 45 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelauletta

I built a JAE twin 45 . Runs great (fast) Heres my issue. Pulls very hard to the right .We tried all different adjustments even tried a wider rudder nothing seemed to help. Took every thing out measured everything all was good. Thinking it could be over propped or to weak a rudder servo. Need some help on what is causing this.

right sponson toed in 1/4" Hitec 5585MH dig servo 6.0 198oz / 7.4 236 oz. using a life battery 2500 6.6v running a pair of 2217s with 19 degree rake 38% blade area

I don't know what they call for but a 1/4 seems to be a lot. Have you called Joe at Zipp and asked him about it? I take it your rudder is on the right hand side? It mite help to put it on the left side. Talk to Joe first.

Brad

Twins have a ton of lift on the ass end with so much prop. The right turn is because the back end is prop walking to the left. Brad mentioned the 45 degree angle leading edge fin. This causes lift in the turn fin to help push the front end to the left. Same can be apllied by pushing the bottom of the fin forward to create more lift. The toe in on sponson does the same by running your turn fin to the left. Band aids the problem imho. I would try to work on the problem first then use the band aids to dial it in. A deeper rudder will help to stop the walk. Wider too. I run lead in the bait box to plant the rear end more. Also removing lift by running struts flat or slight negative angle helps as well. Glenn mention sharp props. As the prop enters the water the profile of props will cause lift. The sharper it is the less lift created.
Good luck
Mike

Twins have a ton of lift on the ass end with so much prop. The right turn is because the back end is prop walking to the left. Brad mentioned the 45 degree angle leading edge fin. This causes lift in the turn fin to help push the front end to the left. Same can be apllied by pushing the bottom of the fin forward to create more lift. The toe in on sponson does the same by running your turn fin to the left. Band aids the problem imho. I would try to work on the problem first then use the band aids to dial it in. A deeper rudder will help to stop the walk. Wider too. I run lead in the bait box to plant the rear end more. Also removing lift by running struts flat or slight negative angle helps as well. Glenn mention sharp props. As the prop enters the water the profile of props will cause lift. The sharper it is the less lift created.
Good luck
Mike
I know there is no set amount of weight . Where would you start? When at speed it feels like the back end is trying to come around.

Joe I'm building this twin and at the point to run the drive lines. How far spaced are your struts? Rudder is running out of space to mount, how did you solve this? Any pictures? Thanks in advance for the information!

Mike

I have one of these built that I bought here on iw. Same question I have is there isn't any room to mount a rudder. Maybe flat stock on side of hull. There would be a little more room if I used speedmaster struts as they aren't as wide as the jar.

I have JAE struts. Not sure what the distance really needs to be other than blade clearance. Just enough or extra (1/4" for example) for water disturbance?

Michael would it be possible to post a couple pictures of the rear of the boat? One from the side and one from the back?

Thanks David

Latest posts

Back