Q Sport

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wolf whistle Terry, whats that on the flex shaft? :huh: You dont worry about that controller getting wet? I havent run my castles yet but I wasnt aware they were water proof.Are they?

Man thats bad@ss there! Terry.

Please tell us more about it.

Last edited:
It's a Whip 40. Well.......sort of. I can't leave anything alone. The sponsons, deck, transom, and tub are all different. Custom carbon/kevlar canopy. The footprint is a Whip. I suppose there is no transom really. I built it that way out of spite because nobody could tell me where "transom" was defined in either rule books. It's all West Systems epoxy. The graphics are painted and then West "special clear" on top of that.

The hardware was cut on a wire EDM by a buddy of mine. Same stuff I plan to use on the new rigger I'm working on. Peter Zicha motor mount. Runs on 6s2p with a Neu 2215. No water cooling on the motor. It never gets hot. I have baked a set of batteies but they were a season old when I started running them in this boat.

Forgot about that tube there on the flex. I've changed that. I had soldered an extra piece of tubing on there as a routing for cooling water to get from the back to the front of the boat. There is almost no room for anything in there. That also cooled the flex cable. I had trouble with my last Whip40 having hot cables but they were .187". Seems to not be an issue with 1/4" cable. The black on there is an extra heavy piece of shrink to keep the cells from touching the stuffing tube. Also probably not necessary with this boat.

That ESC is an ICE. They're supposed to be water "resistant" This boat doesn't take on water like my last 40. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend an ICE. Lot's of guys run them successfully but I have had zero luck with them. It's apparently just me. Castle's Hydra series have been much more reliable for me. I'm still a Castle slappy but not for the ICE. This boat runs a Hydra240 LV now. I've been running the LV's on 6s since 2009 despite being told it wont work.

A 2215 :eek: WHAT? You werent bull@@@@@@@ were you Terry? A sport 40 with a 2215 good lord. Do me a favor Terry, dont ever come to D12 with that boat lol. Peter does awesome work and that hardware is "sano" , the mods you did, man what can I say the boats awesome. i hope everyone else enjoys this as much as I do. Now If I can only get DON FERRETTE to show the valken 1/8th ill have my fill of awesome boats for now. Ill be hungry again soon so please SHOW YOUR BOATS.

Dont want to call out any names DOUG SMOCK you promissed me you would show more.

Anyway thank you guys for feeding me a was starting to get the LIMITED BLUES :D

Terry I have the v2 versions so I hope there will be no issues but you be careful with getting water on the girl. if you ever datalog the 2215 would love to see it.

Hugh

Ps bet you a million that Dons detailing the cockpit on the valken he thinks hes slick!

Last edited:
How did you miss the NAMBA rule about transom dimensions...??

Section 28 Electric

Sport Hydro Classes, Page 8

c)HULL SPECIFICATIONS

iv) Transom height must be 1/16" taller than whatever Terry Davis just built.

That thing is sick, T.

How did you miss the NAMBA rule about transom dimensions...??

Section 28 Electric

Sport Hydro Classes, Page 8

c)HULL SPECIFICATIONS

iv) Transom height must be 1/16" taller than whatever Terry Davis just built.
Terry,

Hurry up and build something with a 3" tall transom so everything's illegal!!! :blink: ;)

This Whip is the most aerodynamic thing I've ever built. I should ship it to Brian for the next SAW and let him beat the poo out of it. I've rolled it a couple times trying to lay in too tight but it's never blown off. It's built like a brick crap house too.

The rigger I'm building has about 1/4" tall trans. Sorry Brian. It might not work but it will look soooooo pritty.

That reminds me. What do you guys do with experimental hulls that don't pan out? I have boats I should just toss in the burn barrel but I can't bring myself to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a little race coming up in August. Both our boats will proly be scrap before we find a chance.

Terry,

Each fall I toss them on the fire and lift my beer to all the RC boat racing gods.

Thanking them for a safe, a-- kicking year of racing!

Grim

That reminds me. What do you guys do with experimental hulls that don't pan out? I have boats I should just toss in the burn barrel but I can't bring myself to do it.
3 Options depending on construction material:

1. Bandsaw

2. Wood stove

3. Leave under the trailer tires

Otherwise they just keep growing in the corner like a fungus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, what kind of lap times are you turning in race water? Two club members built PT45s with the 2215 motor but decided the 1527 was a better choice. Don't remember why.

Jay, it's because the 2215 is diabolical. It's WAYYYYY too much motor for Q sport. You can't go as fast as this motor is capable of. That's just my opinion. This motor will eventually rip a Thomas in half. That's not a critisism of Phils boats either. We ran one in an AC and it couldn't take the pounding either.

The Whip I used to hold the record with was slowly ripping itself in half on just the 1527. Every time I raced it a found a new seem ripped open. Then it got run over at the NATS. It died a worriors death though so I was at piece. I'll see if I can find a pic. The 1527 really is a better motor for this class IMO. I like the 1Y. We have a guy that runs a 1527/1.5D. That works really well too. Especially in the Thomas. A bit smaller prop.

I used the old boat as reference to build this one. My turn fin is tapped into a 3/8 chunk of aluminum in the sponson. It's also tethered to the tub where there is another 3/8" piece of aluminum that's grafted into the side of the tub. The tub is reinforced along the line where the aluminum is inside. The bulkhead that typically runs from sponson trans to sponson trans in a typical Whip had to be cut out to accommodate this pig motor. So to compensate for the missing structure I had Peter design me a motor mount that once mounted becomes part of the structure. So there is a solid structure that runs all the way across the boat.

I don't have any real laps times as it's not been on a NAMBA legal course. I ran it in Canada but they're IMPBA so no times. I did manage to beat one of Reesors old riggers for one heat but it wasn't really because I was faster. More like the perfect storm. In the hands of a better driver it could be a really fast lapper.

Back