Q Mono?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Nightingale

Firstly, forgive my complete ignorance when it comes to electrics

After I've finished my current Seaducer 33 build, I'd like to build a Seaducer 38 fe and in a first for me - make it electric. It'd be my fourth 'ducer and the first fast boat I've made without a fuel tank...

Jerry's site lists the boat as for Q mono, a class we don't have in the UK - not that I'll ever intend on racing it. What I'd like to know is a recommended motor, esc amperage, prop and how many cells to go for

To guide this conversation a little.
If you determine it wont be raced and you could put inside any equipment you want.... what is the intended use?

Obviously outright top speed setups are very different than a setup that you want to run for 4 mins straight running around an oval track or similar use at a local pond.

Of course, should have said. I run on a rectangular course on a reasonably small lake, would be fair to say I'm after an oval course setup, that's what all my glow boats are set up for. Am not looking for a Saw type setup, don't have the room

I am relatively new to RC boating so please take this at face value.
Your boat being a 38" is bordering the larger side of boats, and would run better on higher voltage. (higher voltage generally means lower amperage)
For that reason I think that a 4s or 6s setup would be ideal. 4s would be good for moderate speeds 40-60 and 6s would be needed for higher speeds most likely.

Prop: I suspect something in the 42-46 mm diameter will be good for it. (I have a 42" mono that loves a 47mm prop)
I have not tried a ton of props yet, but my 42" mono likes the Octura x447 detonged, sharpened, and balanced. On 6s I see 62 mph and is lots of fun. I had modified that prop with some additional pitch and hit 48 mph on 4s.

Motor: For the motor do you have an ideal speed goal for the boat? For example is 60 mph enough? or do you want less or more?
I am a big fan of TP Power motors and would recommend something like the TP4060. (weight is always a consideration here)

You can plug in some KV values into the off shore electrics calculator to determine what speeds look like. I have found my TP Power motors are around 89.5% efficient adjusting the calculator to match my GPS readings.

ESC: A 150a ESC would do the job well unless you want speeds above 70 mph. Plenty of options there. The castle XLX2 is an amazing esc and for most will run cool as is with the air cooling setup.

Battery/Connectors: Good quality batteries help a lot. Turnigy panthers are a solid option, CNHL g+ series, and SMC extreme V2s are 3 recommended options.
Similarly I would recommend good connectors like the QS8.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Motor: TP4070 1100-1200kv, Neu 1527 or 1530 1100-1200kv, TP5660 1170 kv, LMT 3040/9 if you want the best
ESC: Castle XLX2 at $250 this is a steal for a great ESC. Water cooling adapters coming.
Batteries: 45C-70C preferably 2P setup using a total capacitance of 6600 to 12000mAh. HK graphenes are great value for the dollar/pound and have stable chemistry and I assume they are readily available in the UK.
Prop: X450/3 up to a X457/3. Think of the prop selection between a 45 and 67 nitro powered mono.

Back