Prop help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im running a VS1 with a stock water cooled O.S. 3.5. I ran it for the first time today, the motor is tight most likely not broken in yet. I have a balanced and sharpened M440 2 blade on it right now but it seems to be running a little wet. Before I start really messing with trim, is this the right prop to start with or should I try so els?

I ran a VS 1 for years and the M440 is a decent prop for this boat. You should be able to use the M440 to begin making trim adjustments. I ran the center line of the props 1/4" above the bottom edge of the sponsons and neutral thrust angle. I also had 2 oz. of lead on each of the sponson tips.

JD

I ran a VS 1 for years and the M440 is a decent prop for this boat. You should be able to use the M440 to begin making trim adjustments. I ran the center line of the props 1/4" above the bottom edge of the sponsons and neutral thrust angle. I also had 2 oz. of lead on each of the sponson tips.

JD
Thanks Jerry I have some more changes to make. The last two days the weather here has been crap! Very windy so hopefully next weekend it’ll be better to run.

JD
What other props would you use?

M440 should be a great prop for setting your hull up. I normally recommend that as it is incredibly easy on the needle and trim adjustments.
I run a 40x53 for heat racing. I haven’t raced a VS1, but I have ran one for fun. I think the 40x53 will be a good option if you plan to race. Otherwise, run the 440 and have some fun!

Some good info here.

Out of curiosity, what kind of speeds are you guys logging out of the 40x53 on the stock OS and for the heck of it, your mod boats as well?

Brian
I would say low to mid 50’s is a fair estimate on a heat racing setup. My 40x53 on my stock boat has kept me very competitive with a lot of Mod 3.5 Tunnels. The x442 also is a great option but requires some more tweaking. The 40x53 has given me and Mike Talley some great racing.

On a mod tunnel, we still run the x442 with a lynx cut currently. We have clocked our hull on the lower end at 59 MPH with a heat racing setup. I would say our time trial setup most likely saw top speeds of 62-63 MPH. Never ran a SAW pass with it so I can’t say for certain.

Mike Z’s stock hull with the 1440 absolutely flew at the Internats. I left before Sport 3.5 racing due to work and did not get to race, but between him and Mark Anderson and Eric Bourlet, those boats ran exceptionally well.

If you still have the head shim in the motor. Pull it out. That will make a big difference in the way it runs. 40x53 as stated is a good prop. 1440 back cut and cupped to 2.7 is the best 20 tunnel prop that I have ever used. Gary Pruesse and I started working those 20+ years ago. Still the only prop Eric and I run. I have tried so called lynx cut props and never had them work.

If you still have the head shim in the motor. Pull it out. That will make a big difference in the way it runs. 40x53 as stated is a good prop. 1440 back cut and cupped to 2.7 is the best 20 tunnel prop that I have ever used. Gary Pruesse and I started working those 20+ years ago. Still the only prop Eric and I run. I have tried so called lynx cut props and never had them work.
Can you pm me what props you have and pricing as I will need a few. Thanks

Back