Prop Hardening

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this thread has been raised from 2 years ago. Most of the info on heat treatment on this thread is for the alloy Octura uses. ABC props are most similar to 275CT but Jim has a sister company make it for him a little special and there is more BE in it than standard 275CT. I would not anneal Jim’s props they are easily workable as they come and if you want to harden them up a little just put them in a oven at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes then ramp it up to 500 degrees for another 30 minutes and then shut the oven off and let them cool to room temp. This particular method I just mentioned came from Jim. On Octuras I do like annealing them and then put them in the oven at 500 degrees for 3 hours and then let them slow cool to room temp. Plenty hard and not as brittle as 625 like a lot of people mention. Jeff Lutz

You guys must be getting old?
I have never needed any blue pills.
Just keep the lights on so you can
see what your doing. 🤔

I see this thread has been raised from 2 years ago. Most of the info on heat treatment on this thread is for the alloy Octura uses. ABC props are most similar to 275CT but Jim has a sister company make it for him a little special and there is more BE in it than standard 275CT. I would not anneal Jim’s props they are easily workable as they come and if you want to harden them up a little just put them in a oven at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes then ramp it up to 500 degrees for another 30 minutes and then shut the oven off and let them cool to room temp. This particular method I just mentioned came from Jim. On Octuras I do like annealing them and then put them in the oven at 500 degrees for 3 hours and then let them slow cool to room temp. Plenty hard and not as brittle as 625 like a lot of people mention. Jeff Lutz
Thank you. I'll give this a shot.

Thank you Jeff!! It works great! I just took a cold 1615 17 45 out of the oven and it gives a nicer higher pitch ring than before or on any non-hardened prop on my desk. 👍

Latest posts

Back