Prop guide for 1/8 Scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Hi guys,

have a few 1/8 scales with CMB 67 for power,

what's a good starting point for props, i have a mix of turbine and piston era scales, nearly all pickle fork , and one shovel nose

I know we had boats at a race this weekend running, I assume anyway, all of those props. My 2000 Elam has a 255 as well, AFAIK anyway, and it was running really nice after I got a rudder issue taken care of. 1/8 scale electrics are limited to 457/1457 and they also haul the mail so.........

Hi guys,

have a few 1/8 scales with CMB 67 for power,

what's a good starting point for props, i have a mix of turbine and piston era scales, nearly all pickle fork , and one shovel nose
Shane
Don Maher told me they used a Octura 1657 on Velasco 1/8 scale hulls.
Just saying

Alex

A 16xx is a prop with more pitch and lifts. On the Octura props:
  • the first digit on a three digit number is the pitch, the last two are the diameter For a 4xx series, the pitch would be 1.4Xdiameter
  • the first two digits on a four digit prop are the pitch, the last two are, again, the diameter. For a 14xx prop, it would still be 1.4Xdiameter
So, an X-457 and a 1457 have the same 57mm diameter and 79.8mm pitch, the 1457 just has more lift.
Alex, aren't most Velasco hulls pretty much a flat bottom with a slight upward curve toward the front of the bottom? If so, that would explain the lifting part since it doesn't have any sort of airtrap to hold air under the boat. I'm curious as to why it would need a 1.6 pitch though. If you're running a 57mm diameter, you would need a 91.2mm pitch.

Last edited:
Mark,
The 1657 that I ran on my Velasco hull was modified to suit my driving style. The 1.6 pitch also allowed me to run in the low 70’s when I deemed necessary.

And that explains that. I am surprised the Velasco could handle 70+ and stay on the water. Must have been one boat that was set up really well :cool:

A 16xx is a prop with more pitch and lifts. On the Octura props:
  • the first digit on a three digit number is the pitch, the last two are the diameter For a 4xx series, the pitch would be 1.4Xdiameter
  • the first two digits on a four digit prop are the pitch, the last two are, again, the diameter. For a 14xx prop, it would still be 1.4Xdiameter
So, an X-457 and a 1457 have the same 57mm diameter and 79.8mm pitch, the 1457 just has more lift.
Alex, aren't most Velasco hulls pretty much a flat bottom with a slight upward curve toward the front of the bottom? If so, that would explain the lifting part since it doesn't have any sort of airtrap to hold air under the boat. I'm curious as to why it would need a 1.6 pitch though. If you're running a 57mm diameter, you would need a 91.2mm pitch.
Nice to know

Back