Preferred radio

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothyhoward

Hello, breaking out the boats after a loooong hiatus.... (like 15 years) i need a new radio... what radio is preferred now? The 2.4ghz band or? Futaba... how is spectra? Any input would be greatly appreciated. More worried about stable signal and range not necassarily functions... mainly just need end point adjustments which every radio should have....

It is really hard to beat RadioLink for the money.
I have tested the range on the RC6Gs V2 to 1600 ft in one direction (imagine 1600ft in 2 directions when standing in the middle of the track). The range is truly impressive.
Extra receivers are cheaper than many other brands, and has some telemetry options to feed data back to the transmitter if you wanted to add those later. 10 model memory in the radio.

Grim, you had me a bit concerned at the beginning with "your new build". I was beginning to think you needed a new air pump or filter on your hood due to possible oxygen deprivation. So glad you went into the "meat" of the video after that countdown and showed me my error of being concerned. Have a great weekend

I wanted a new radio for the gas scale I am working on and wanted to be able to use waterproof receivers and servos so I went with Sanwa/Airtronics. Their waterproof servos can be used with other systems.

Thank you for the responses. So we have used the Spektrum radios in the past and I was warned about the signal over water by a couple of folks... I know the obvious choice of the futaba 4pm, but I dont like the telemetry options they have for it...I want to use telemetry for speed and voltage and the traxxass radio has a slick gps integrated with the receiver. I know it works great on my sons trucks and I know that is the radio that comes with their deep vee and catamaran boats... has anyone used the traxxass radio for a rigger or other hulls? Any issues with range or glitches? Im not even concerned about the price of them, just more the functionality. That traxxas tqi radio is set up real nice for telemetry with gps...

for your consideration.

Grim

,,I'm an old stick guy looking to try a wheel,,but how do you guys set up the throttle/trigger for hands free starting/idling,,and shutting down,,do you set idle with trigger released/idle position ,,then use trim to shut down?

Seems some radios like the 3PV that has been suggested as a decent entry/budget marine transmitter do not have steering speed. Having to buy all programmable servo's in order to adjust a parameter that should be in the radio doesn't seem like best way to go about it. Too many servos you may want to run left out. The lack of a steering speed is surely the deal breaker on the 3PV.

Please take note that the Steering Speed setting is almost a needed parameter to adjust on our faster boats and servo speeds we have today.

I can not imagine buying a radio to use for marine use and not have ability to adjust the steering speed. It is the second most important feature after the end points on a radio.

No way I would consider a radio without steering speed. It would be completely useless for 95% of the boating population. The second they realized you can't turn down the speed it would become 100% worthless to most.

,,I'm an old stick guy looking to try a wheel,,but how do you guys set up the throttle/trigger for hands free starting/idling,,and shutting down,,do you set idle with trigger released/idle position ,,then use trim to shut down?

Where on the stick radios the trim is usually used to kill the engine the wheel radios have a braking side of the trigger where it pushes forward to travel servo back beyond the idle setting and kill the engine. Then the amount of servo travel it has in the braking direction is a adjustable parameter in the settings.

Last edited:
Seems some radios like the 3PV that has been suggested as a decent entry/budget marine transmitter do not have steering speed. Having to buy all programmable servo's in order to adjust a parameter that should be in the radio doesn't seem like best way to go about it. Too many servos you may want to run left out.

Please take note that the Steering Speed setting is almost a needed parameter to adjust on our faster boats and servo speeds we have today.

I can not imagine buying a radio to use for marine use and not have ability to adjust the steering speed. It is the second most important feature after the end points on a radio.

No way I would consider a radio without steering speed. It would be completely useless for 95% of the boating population. The second they realized you can't turn down the speed it would become 100% worthless to most.

Where on the stick radios the trim is usually used to kill the engine the wheel radios have a braking side of the trigger where it pushes forward to travel servo back beyond the idle setting and kill the engine. Then the amount of servo travel it has in the braking direction is a adjustable parameter in the settings.
Thanks Daniel,,I thought about the brake function,but didn't know you could configure it to work on the throttle servo,,that put me at ease lol
I suppose in the old days with fixed/standard steering speed/travel,,myself and many others would set a minimum needed rudder movement/ratio for the full servo travel, and it seemed to work well,,with the end point settings these days,a novice could set the rudder/servo ratio too high,and use end point adj to reduce rudder travel,,and still be touchy to drive

Yes. Almost everyone takes advantage of the steering speed because the two most popular radios in the r/c marine hobby for the last 15-20 years have been the 3PM/3PM-X and the 3PK/3PKS.

They both of course had the steering speed feature and today I can see most wanting to retain that parameter setting on anything they buy.

The 3PKS even had throttle speed and it was a awesome feature too. In wild high powered boats you can tone it down to be more user friendly. Especially if someone built it with a too long a servo horn and it is so fast it is ON or OFF this gives you back your decent proportional throttle.

Programable servo is no good for setting the servo speed.

The Steering speed is something you have to tune in. It has to be accessible on the radio. Programming your servo for slower speed is not any way to have to find the exact correct steering speed your looking for. It is a on the fly setting until you get it right for each boat.

Last edited:
Tim,

For me.. I would accept a system that does not have steering speed. Is it nice.. YEP.. but needed.. NA....

Every radio I know of.. has end point adustment..so thats an easy button. End point.. that would be more of a deal breaker...

More information.. just for the idea of more information.. no wrong way!

Grim

,,I'm an old stick guy looking to try a wheel,, but how do you guys set up the throttle/trigger for hands free starting/idling,,and shutting down,,do you set idle with trigger released/idle position ,,then use trim to shut down?

One way.. .. not the only way.. you can push the trigger forward off neutral too..

Disclaimer.. not all radio systems allow you to limit the trigger.. this is just brain fodder!

Grim

One way.. .. not the only way.. you can push the trigger forward off neutral too..

Disclaimer.. not all radio systems allow you to limit the trigger.. this is just brain fodder!

Grim

Thanks Mike,that 7px is pretty dandy,Yeah,,Daniel also mentioned about pushing the throttle forward off neutral,which I would prefer and just set a safe enough idle speed like I did with stick.,,A few times my cat took off into the wind and landed on it's paws and I kept going lol,,.Do most radios,like the 3 and 4pm allow you to push forward off neutral to shutdown? I can understand most don't have the limit screw like the 7px and use a switch for shutdown like you show,,I'm liking the 4pm,as the specs say,you can adjust trigger position,and has a dial I can use for mixture

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,that 7px is pretty dandy,Yeah,,Daniel also mentioned about pushing the throttle forward off neutral,which I would prefer and just set a safe enough idle speed like I did with stick.,,A few times my cat took off into the wind and landed on it's paws and I kept going lol,,.Do most radios,like the 3 and 4pm allow you to push forward off neutral to shutdown? I can understand most don't have the limit screw like the 7px and use a switch for shutdown like you show,,I'm liking the 4pm,as the specs say,you can adjust trigger position,and has a dial I can use for mixture

The 7PX like most all Futaba computer transmitters have always been you set/limit the amount of forward braking throw on the trigger with the radio's electronics. It is a separate parameter in the settings.

All the wheel radio's have the forward braking off the throttle idle position.

The 7PX will have a dial too. You can setup almost any switch or dial on these radio's to control any channel you want. You can even change the amount of motion you get at the servo out of each click.

Rod, All pistol systems have forward off neutral. So the servo arm just moves to the carb shut position. I like you like to have a positive throttle off.. most dont use that. Either way works!

Grim

The 7PX like most all Futaba computer transmitters have always been you set/limit the amount of forward braking throw on the trigger with the radio's electronics. It is a separate parameter in the settings.

The 7PX will have a dial too. You can setup almost any switch or dial on these radio's to control any channel you want. You can even change the amount of motion you get at the servo out of each click.

Rod, All pistol systems have forward off neutral. So the servo arm just moves to the carb shut position. I like you like to have a positive throttle off.. most dont use that. Either way works!

Grim
Thanks again Mike, I get it now,,was getting confused with the forward braking being for the brake servo/different channel in a car,,so basically it's like having the throttle servo at 95% range at neutral/idle,then push forward for 100% for engine kill,,or just like setting the neutral point within the servo range,,and Daniel also mentions you can set the parameter in the throttle menu options

Last edited:

Thanks again Daniel,excuse my slow learning lol,,I will probably go for the 4pm

Latest posts

Back