Preferred outboard fuel?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNelson

Looking for suggestions on brand and nitro versus oil percentages to run on an 11cc K & B outboard ??
I will be running a pair of them on a deep V if that makes a difference !
Thanks in advance !

For sport boating I would run 40% nitro with 20% oil. 2% of the oil being castor. That is going to burn a ton of fuel so lower nitro will keep it economical with good performance. Heck they would run fine on 20% nitro. Oil content will get you 100 different opinions, but my recommendation will be safe.

For sport boating I would run 40% nitro with 20% oil. 2% of the oil being castor. That is going to burn a ton of fuel so lower nitro will keep it economical with good performance. Heck they would run fine on 20% nitro. Oil content will get you 100 different opinions, but my recommendation will be safe.

11cc.. two of them.. sport boating?.. I would use "whatever" 15%...

I would just get a nice castor syn blend like Wildcat or Byrons from any hobby shop and have fun with it.

Most of the Brick and mortar stores will have it for just under or about 30 bucks a gallon.

I would just get a nice castor syn blend like Wildcat or Byrons from any hobby shop and have fun with it.

Most of the Brick and mortar stores will have it for just under or about 30 bucks a gallon.
Yes sir twins and just for fun,and would I see a difference in performance in the higher nitro content? How high of a nitro content is safe to go with on a stock engine ?

Jim where are you located? I thought I saw something you posted from the Brandon pond, if you’re in the area then it will save you time and money to call John Otto at Technology Hobbies in Brandon

The best fuel i have run is S&W fuel from Stans hobby shop in Pennsylvania. He can ship gallons

Dad mentioned that project to me Carl, cool looking frame up it looks like. Gonna be sweet to see it all sheeted in!

Jim,

Not sure if your your still looking for fuel, Dan Pralle of the Riptide Model Boat club is a dealer for VP racing fuel and he is located an hour south of Chicago. He has 60% that is easy to needle. I am pretty sure he also has the 40% VP

I am racing at the St Anne Pumpkin Fest next weekend (9/21) and can pick up fuel for you if needed. I am through Milwaukee every day on my commute.

If interested, PM me to discuss further.

Duke

Wildcat and Byron no longer make boat fuel.

Please post more pictures of the boat. I would like to see some running shots as well.
Thanks,
kez
I will have to start a thread for it because we will derail this thread and it was originally about fuel and things just got off track. I'll post some more pictures of the frame. Mike and I decided to build it just to see what could be done with a mono. It hasn't made it to the water yet but should not be much longer. We pulled some ideas from hydro sport into the design and just went from there.

I have run gas boats for the last bunch of years but I have also burned more nitro then a lot of guys ever will in mostly boats, but also in planes and helis. I mix my own fuel and have for 30+ years. I also have owned and raced lot of twin engine boats, 45’s, 67’s, 80’s and 90’s.

Being a twin guy, I can honestly tell you this, if your just playing..... the higher the nitro% the more critical the needles will be, the more fuel you will burn and the more plugs you will go through. This, unless your experience with twin nitro boats translates into more frustration. More nitro will give you a little more power to pull a larger prop, go through turns with a little more authority and go from idle to WOT a little quicker but I doubt you will see much of a difference in the boat your running. Again you have to add the frustration factor and extra expense into that. I placed a a really big race one year with a 67 cat boat running FAI fuel (no nitro at all just Methanol and oil) just to prove a point to someone. Set-up and turning is king!

I’m not super knowledgeable about “outboards” but my advice to you would be to go with lower nitro like 20 or 25% and stick to a name brand fuel. Synthetic oil is good but I like caster oil mixed with a good synthetic. I also like about 18 - 20% oil 2% being caster. Name brand Heli fuels tend to have more oil then other fuels bought over the counter and a lot of 3D Heli guys go with 30% nitro. You can add oil, synthetic or caster to any fuel you buy over the counter just do the math to figure out what you end up with.

Or another route would be.....You can buy nitro by the gallon from hyperfuels out of TX and they ship it UPS. If you have a VP dealer near you, get your methanol from them. Now all you need is oil. I like and use klotz “techniplate” and also Blendzall “racing castor oil”. If you want to run 40% w/ 20% oil like suggested above it’s...

51.2 oz nitro
25.6 oz oil (23.04 oz Klotz and 2.56 oz of Castor)
51.2 oz of Methanol

51.2 + 25.6 + 51.2 = 128oz (or 1 gallon)

Hope this helps you out some but whatever you do, when you get the boat running post some vids!!

Good luck,
Chris

Jim,

Not sure if your your still looking for fuel, Dan Pralle of the Riptide Model Boat club is a dealer for VP racing fuel and he is located an hour south of Chicago. He has 60% that is easy to needle. I am pretty sure he also has the 40% VP

I am racing at the St Anne Pumpkin Fest next weekend (9/21) and can pick up fuel for you if needed. I am through Milwaukee every day on my commute.

If interested, PM me to discuss further.

Duke
Yes I have 40% nitro. VP is 18% oil. 20% is castor. 35$ a gal

Back