Pin holes persistently on epoxy glass sponsons. Why?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Alldredge

can't seem to get paint to cover on a new lobster project. What do you you do to correct. I have tried filler primer and two types of paint.

You should use epoxy primer i use Klass Koat it sands easy. I spray first coat and see pinholes just use a finger and rub paint into any pinhole let that rough coat dry and sand level. give it another prime coat and paint. If you use spray can stuff, same deal but sanding may be messy and paint not as tough.

Do you have spray equipment?
If so and are able to spray thick/heavy material, I have used, with great results for years, Interlux Epoxy Primekote.
VERY thick and good filler, very easy to sand.
As a filler that is easy to sand, check out Icing, made by USC, comes in a large tube. You can get it from Amazon

Spraying primer will not fill pin holes at best it will bridge them. I always brush the first coat. Spray guide coat before sanding. It is available at automotive paint stores and helps seeing your progress. I like to use a small soft block for sanding. Much of this first coat will come off. Spray a second coat and it should be really close to ready for paint. I have had bad results with spackle as it is not waterproof. I like catalyzed polyester glazing compound.

I've done it all and I hate filling pin holes. I tried this icing stuff and it is the best I've used used so far. Putty coat is good but this stuff is a little thinner.

Attachments

• 20210123_093403.jpg
    20210123_093403.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
Like Phil mentioned... I have had great results using hardware store wall spackling watered down slightly. rub it on with you fingers, let dry, then sand before applying epoxy primer. I use the Klass Kote products for primer and pigment.

Phil gave me some advice when I built my Sport 40, don't use sandpaper, use Scotch-Brite, I think it was it was the red one.

I agree with Ron. I will take a bucket of the hottest water you can stand and add a small box of Tide (type you can buy from a vending machine). Using a red Scotch Brite, scuff and rinse often. Then apply the filler.

Sign me up for part of the I hate sanding group. 150 is what I always finish up with before primer as well. I saw a guy who finished his primer sanding with 400 and the nitro go under the paint and it was coming off in sheets at the lake. He was literally using Hot Stuff to tack his paint back on. I have good luck with the K36 primer as it has a lot of body to it and fills all kinds of pinholes and blemishes.

Not sure if it is still available but years ago Bob Violett Models offered a pinhole filler. You apply it and then wipe it off with a paper towel when dried. It worked well filling pinholes in epoxy glass parts.

Back