• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Picco exr 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhotrods

Silver head Exr Disc rotor 45 has great compression, smooth bearings,motor has rpm rod and geraghty carb. Comes with extra set of bearings and a extra rpm rod also comes with header and spring. Motor is like new 245.00 obo Shipped Thanks Dustin Email [email protected] Phone 509 993 6360

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one that you ran at the NAMBA Nats? If so, this thing rocks.

does this motor have the 8mm crank?
Mr.Nitrofreak..this diatribe is not directed at you personally but at the internet uniformed gossip mill.....Your post questioning crank size just touched a nerve with me.It is obvious you have read or heard somewhere that all 7MM Picco 45EXR motors are substandard...nothing could be farther from the truth.

The silverhead disc rotor EXR motors like this one "all" had 7MM cranks.......These series of motors never had a crank problem....in fact the early "Silverhead".45 EXR disc motors were nearly bullet-proof.

Picco released the initial batch of "Blackhead" EXRs with 7MM cranks with evidently a bad radius at the front step.These were the motors that had a crank breakage problem.Piccos answer was to increase the front snout to 8MM to correct the problem and attempt to curtail the bad press on the internet about crank breakage.All this happened about 10 years ago but with the beauty of the internet the questions continue.

Mr.Nitrofreak..this diatribe is not directed at you personally but at the internet uniformed gossip mill.....Your post questioning crank size just touched a nerve with me.It is obvious you have read or heard somewhere that all 7MM Picco 45EXR motors are substandard...nothing could be farther from the truth.

The silverhead disc rotor EXR motors like this one "all" had 7MM cranks.......These series of motors never had a crank problem....in fact the early "Silverhead".45 EXR disc motors were nearly bullet-proof.

Picco released the initial batch of "Blackhead" EXRs with 7MM cranks with evidently a bad radius at the front step.These were the motors that had a crank breakage problem.Piccos answer was to increase the front snout to 8MM to correct the problem and attempt to curtail the bad press on the internet about crank breakage.All this happened about 10 years ago but with the beauty of the internet the questions continue.
Thanks Rod for the information. It is appreciated very much....

I'm still running the crap out of my Silver Head EXR's and have yet to have a crank or rod failure. Using in a SGX rigger with a pipe at 9" and 50% nitro. Great engine and if I did not already have enough I'd pick this one up.

This crank is the same for the motors from 95' to 99'. This includes the switch over from disk to the drum value. I have been running these motors for years with out any issues.

7MM all the way

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you guys quit bringing this to the top. I am really trying not to buy this. aaawwwwwww man, okay, I will offer 150.00 shipped to the midwest, hey mike you got any more of that black bullet proof coupling material?

Rod,

I think alot of people cant keep the whole Picco story in line, they just dont know, I dont remember reading that the 7mm crank was substandard, they just think bigger is better (8mm).

But if there was a weak link in the 7mm crank set up, it was the undersized brass cone to support the flywheel, thru time it would mushroom (crush) throw the flywheel out of balance breaking the crank end off or internal damage from excessive crank end play. The 'FIX' for the problem was the use of the OPS 45 cone and flywheel assembly, no problem.

Joe's solution is correct, and helps for sure.... someone came out with hardened cones way long ago, and I havent found anymore.... when the picco cone mushrooms it commences to galling and throws the flak through the front bearing making life miserable.... I found a small hardened washer on the race to keep the spacing right worked too.... ( this idea gained from on here, too)... I've a good number of these engines left, they run well, are easy to work on, and while parts are getting tough, i like 'em.... Rod, I have a pair of these that went to you YEARS ago, with 7.5 kb carbs on the front plate, and water jackets that are works of art.... (?)... they run, and run well.... No intent to detract from the original for sale post, as, the motors are good engines and as much as I'd like to have the thing too, I cant..... hopefully the sale goes well, somebody's gonna get a good powerplant.... mike

Back