Picco .90 rods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Walsh

Supporting Member
I have a early 90’s Picco .90 marine motor that I would like to freshen up. It was my fathers new and he used it once but let it sit with old fuel. Going to clean it up and replace bearings and found a new Rpm rod for a Picco .90 hydro for sale. Question is will the rod work or is It different from the hydro /marine engine ?
Thanks !

I think one has a roller bearing rod, (steel rod) and the other is a bushed aluminum rod. I don't think they interchange, but it is possible if the RPM rod was designed to take the place of the roller rod.
Don't quote me on this!

I do have both type of motors, so if you don't get an answer here, I can always open up my motors and measure things for you...
and then you could compare them to the RPM rod.

BTW, if you decide that you can't use the RPM rod, please PM the details....I wouldn't mind purchasing it.

Going to be out of town for two weeks so can’t get a picture of it now. It’s for sure the early 90’s motor with the three bolts to mount the exhaust header. Pretty sure that makes it the marine engine.
I did buy the Rpm rods even if they may not work. I’m sure I can find someone who might need them ! Or if someone has a new Rpm rod for my motor we can swap one.

As I remember the RPM rod install into the Marine 90 was doable but the piston got stuck against the engine block. It needs to be taped onto the crank pin with a rubber hammer on the yellow side. I might have scratched up the piston more than once! The RPM rod on the Hydro 90 went much easier because the engine block could be split apart then the RPM rod went over crank pin with little to no effort.
I would imagine the wrist pin clip & wrist pin could have been remove on the Marine 90. Then sliding the pin through the exhaust port & installing the wrist pin would have been the other alternative.

Looking forward to getting this apart and freshened up when I get back from France.
Thanks for all the info so far !
If anyone has a source for gaskets/bearings I will need let me know !

The 90 Marine is the bolt on header & 90 Hydro had the slip on header with split case. If not mistaken the hydro rods & marine are different. They both had the roller bearing rods. At one time I had both types of motors. The 90 Hydro was better in my option because the header angle could be 10, 15, or 20 if they could be located. On the 90 Marine the bolt on header is about 20 degrees and would fit better in say a Mono. The 90 Hydro's fit in most anything if the correct header could be located.

I knew that Picco P-90 Comp Marine more heavy than 90 Hydro. it use steel cast with needle bearing and disc rear housing Hope you find one Good Luck!

Let me know on the RPM rod, I might also have the bearings and gaskets you need.
I have a 90 Picco hydro engine that has never been run,I do not have the carb. This engine is
For sale if interested make offer.
I can tex you a picture as I cannot get a picture on Iw.
Walt Barney

Back