Overhaulin a 60/80 Ovalmaster

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the A/S stands for Avenger/Spider boats which were the hydros Don made. They were his main interests and the mono hulls came later. Carl contacted me right after I bought the line and had me make a 45 inch hull for a twin setup. His was the first boat made by me at my shop without Don overseeing and in hindsight I think it was far too thin and light. Having made lots of hulls since, I do not know how it held together. I never heard back from him. I may owe him a hull to this day. If the A/S stamp is in the hull, Don made it and his craftmanship was second to none.

Little more info, David the yellow deck boat sure looks nice but is not a Witchcraft from Houston (Baytown) Texas. I will try to get the promised pictures posted tomorrow evening. The Witchcraft called for the small skeg under the motor, leading edge not sharpened, when we were all running sub surface drive. The purpose was to break up the water in front of the prop. I tried 40 and 65 motors without it and it did work. We lost the small mid skeg as surface drive gained favor and the boats from the family of hulls like Muck and Youngblood appeared and got faster. Those hulls also gave birth to the large spin fin on the inside rear as the larger surface drive props gave the mono hulls hell in the turns. We added them to the other hulls, Witchcraft and Wardcraft as they were converted to surface drive also. Once set up as surface drive the small mid ship skeg was not necessary. The yellow decked boat pictured from David sure looks like the Muck/Youngblood style of hull. Scott's Witchcraft hulls were only offered in two sizes, 20 size and the bigger boat at 38 inches long. Monday or Tuesday I will get pictures of both posted here.
thanks for the info Mark. Yeah, I was very active running mostly mono's during that time of transition when surface-drive set-up's started to appear on a number of hulls. I ran Prather deep vee's, which I loved. Then got into the Muck and Youngblood models (with chopped-down freeboad, and minimal strakes). Although I prefer running sub-surface drive with center skegg, combined with large single starboard transom spin fin, seems to provide good overall speed plus stable ride attitude and handling (turning). Wish these designs were available in epoxy fiberglass construction

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the A/S stands for Avenger/Spider boats which were the hydros Don made. They were his main interests and the mono hulls came later. Carl contacted me right after I bought the line and had me make a 45 inch hull for a twin setup. His was the first boat made by me at my shop without Don overseeing and in hindsight I think it was far too thin and light. Having made lots of hulls since, I do not know how it held together. I never heard back from him. I may owe him a hull to this day. If the A/S stamp is in the hull, Don made it and his craftmanship was second to none.
Mark, Carl is club secretary for the Capitol RC Model Boaters here in the Washington DC area, which I am vice president of. I will call him & let him know about this thread. You can also visit our website, www.capitolrcmodelboats.com - contact info for Carl is there (-;

Doc, Last two times I saw and spoke with Roger were at Gun Shows in the Covington area. Have not contacted him since early last year I think. I am making the Oval Master line from Don . Sending PM in a moment. Good to hear from you.

Hi ya folks

Alex,I ran my oval Master with a Picco Hydro 90 in it on surface drive.

It took quite a while to get it dialed in, but then once I hit the throttle on the motor,

it would try to pop a wheely, lay down flat on the water and rise up flat and would continue to accelerate thru out the straights.

turning was no problem once I found that a large turn fin with the bottom of the fin kicked in

like a rigger was the answer for tht set up. The straight fin did not dig in enough to grab water and the boat would SLLLIIIDDDEEEE

like crazy.

MArk, good to see you there guy. Yeah the big boat did not last too long, cracked every where and was always kidded at the lake

then I brought it down to run about how many band aids it would need this time out. LOL

I run 20 size boats these days as my reflexes are not as good as they were about 20 yrs. ago. LOL

I do have one large boat (the one in my avatar). It is an Insane 1st generation that started out with a CMB 90, then gas and now

set up with Twin FE motors in it. you should hear the whine it makes at full tilt. :)

Got the boats on the table right now, getting them ready for the new season and getting them all cleaned up and ready to go.

Carl

Ya know my mind must be failing me. After thinking about it for days Jims boats were Hi Point boats

Latest posts

Back