OUTBOARD TUNNEL ????????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zboter1

Supporting Member
WHAT KIND OF LOWER UNIT ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING? LIKE ARE YOU MODIFING A KB TO ACCEPT AN ELECTRIC MOTOR ECT.

There seems to be a lot of motors to choose from. What would a guy need to get in a brushless motor to say run 16 cells in a tunnel ect.

WHAT KIND OF LOWER UNIT ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING? LIKE ARE YOU MODIFING A KB TO ACCEPT AN ELECTRIC MOTOR ECT.

There seems to be a lot of motors to choose from. What would a guy need to get in a brushless motor to say run 16 cells in a tunnel ect.
Fullers

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/hardware.htm

Has a nice carbon fiber lower unit.

Try a Hacker or NEM 10 XL, with a Hacker 77 ESC, X637, X640 prop.

Larry

I just got back from running my tunnel with 18 gp3700's a 10XL on a modded K&B lower unit and a Barra 125 ESC. I plugged in the whatts up meter to see the amps and it was 88 AMPS with a X440 prop...then i tried a 1440 back cut (my sport 21 tunnle prop) and holy **** did it fly then!!

Kris

sounds fun Kris

obviously you have to keep the reciever and steering servo dry what about the speed controller?

are they water proof?

What about the motor? obviously they are not hurt by getting wet ect.

There is a current thread going on about FE tunnels, its about 8 pages long and can be found HERE , Although you will have to weed through a page or two of bitching and moaning, its got some good stuff.

I am using a REK/Irwin composite lower unit with a Neu 1512 brushless on top.

here is an older picture from when I was setting it up.

FEoutboard.jpg

Thanks, James

I just got back from running my tunnel with 18 gp3700's a 10XL on a modded K&B lower unit and a Barra 125 ESC. I plugged in the whatts up meter to see the amps and it was 88 AMPS with a X440 prop...then i tried a 1440 back cut (my sport 21 tunnle prop) and holy **** did it fly then!!

Kris
Hey Kris,

What sort of amp draw did you see with the 1440? They have a lot more L/E pitch than a X440.....

Tim.

Kris

Where in the run did the peak occur?

What was the amp range as the motor runs from turn to the end of the straight?

Ummm I didnt have the Watts up connected for the 1440 ;-) but I will see what I can do tomorrow...being Melbourne Cup day PUBLIC HOLIDAY and all :p

Andrew, I think i might invest in an amp draw plug in for the Data logger I won, which you generously (sp?) donated ;-)

Kris

Kris

the boat looks good - btw the new software for the esc is definitely a winner I dont know how they did it but it is transformed and I cant fool the esc by stabbing the throttle and the lags when puching it are non-existent

The current reader is a good tool - what you will find is sometimes the biggest peaks are as the boat gets on plane the first time - then after that they are say 20% lower (thats a guess but its lower).

I have a 9XL dyno test too. The logger readings help to select props to put the amp draw at max efficiency for the voltage. Also if you know your amp reading you can tell what rpm your motor is running at as the two coincide in the top half of the rpm range. This means you can work out a figure for your hull efficiency which will let you work out speeds more accurately and asses how props are going. It also lets you check pack voltage when it matters most

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the boat out on Sunday i took the tunnel out again, but the speedy was knackered because i shorted out the Rx red wire in another port on the Rx and made a chip on the power board is burnt :lol:

But that was my fault of course.

Anyway I got a reading of 108amps for the 1440, but the controller didnt seem to be getting full power probably due to it being stuffed :p so i think that the AMPS might drop with the controller working properly.

So i think i might drop back to an 9XL and 16 cells so i can pull the 21 tunnel props better...

Kris

looks cool Kris,

I added some updated pics of mine in my gallery.

Another guy in the CMB club is considering building one, it may fly yet...

~James

looks cool Kris,
I added some updated pics of mine in my gallery.

Another guy in the CMB club is considering building one, it may fly yet...

~James

Gabe nice pictures, so I can have a look for my FE tunnel, another E-boat in the CMB club......

Ronald.

Just what you need Ronald, another FAST boat. You already have one boat over here that is so fast that you will need to re adjust your hand-eye coordination to drive it!

where can i pick up that gold mount for the transom. I got the lower unit and everything else i just need the mount. also can some one post some links to some boat kits and hulls, mines going to fast as it is already (brushless on an abs academy f1 :blink: )

Just what you need Ronald, another FAST boat. You already have one boat over here that is so fast that you will need to re adjust your hand-eye coordination to drive it!

But thats crazy nitro stuff...

Now I want to try the elec stuff.

Just made the order for a speed control...

Now the rest.

Ronald.

Latest posts

Back